Instant read thermometer- a must!

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
I've been grilling for a few years, and I have made pork chops several hundred, if not thousands of times. Some have turned out great, others not so great, to be frank.

I bought myself a instant read thermometer, and have grilled pork chops several times lately. By using the thermo, the chops have turned out perfect every time during my last cooks.
I've found out that it is hard to judge when the chops are done from the outside searing, as I have done before. Now, I can measure the core temps, and pull them when they just done. Goodbye to dry and boring pork chops, as well as the slightly raw ones!

I wish I bought this gadget twenty years ago. But then it was probably not invented, or at least sold at the current price.
icon_smile.gif

Worth every penny, cent, kroner and euro!

Geir

I've had the same experience since I bought my thermapen-no guessing and no cutting into the meat. I use it on everything I cook-even burgers.

Les

I have also taken out a lot of guesswork and inconsistency in my cooks by getting an instant read thermometer. The thermapen was too much (according to the budget committee), so I got their RT600 model. Reads in 6 seconds, from -40° to 302°F and it is waterproof. It cost about ¼ as much as the Thermapen and for me, works just as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Les Stubby:
Geir

I've had the same experience since I bought my thermapen-no guessing and no cutting into the meat. I use it on everything I cook-even burgers.

i do the same. however i could not afford the themapen so i bought one at lowes which works pretty good
Les </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Infact it was quite difficult to be able to buy a thermometre. I was able to buy a thermapen from amazon in england, the other sellers would not send their goods to Norway. Så I had no real choice. I'm happy with my expensive thermometre.
icon_smile.gif

Right on Geir, it's simply my most important tool.

I love the wired probe versions too. They make me fearless, knowing I can cook anything right on the first try. I give them out as gifts hoping more relatives will start making better food. It's been a struggle, they still want to rely on th turkey pop up therm.

To me thats cheaper then ordering from a Swedish site that takes 88 GBP. Will look into this i really need one bad.

i do the same. however i could not afford the themapen so i bought one at lowes which works pretty good
Les[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Me too Corey. I am sure I would be happy with the thermapen but the cheepo works to my satisfaction.

I have a Taylor Weekend Warrior. It's slightly slow to register compared to a Thermapen, but it's backlit, waterproof, and only $18 shipped from Amazon.

When I started getting serious about grilling a few years ago,Sweet Pammi Sue questioned a couple of my cooks,mostly their doneness. I went to Bed,Bath and Beyond and bought an OXO bi-metal dial type thermo. It takes a whole 3-4 seconds to give me a reading,I paid less than $10 for it and no one has gotten sick!

I can not see myself paying thermapen so much for a 5 dollar item. I bought a acu-rite digital therm from walmart, works very well and was under 10 bucks. Takes about 4-6 seconds to get your reading not bad. Have had for over 2 yrs now with no problems, check it with boiling water about once a month only 1 degree off no biggie.

I agree, the thermapen is very expensive. I've just ordered a couple of very cheap ones from DealExtreme.com to compare. I'll d a review.

The topic does not say anything about the thermapen, it says instant read thermo. I'm sure most of us can wait for 8 seconds.

The thermapen uses longer time than promised, as well, as far as I have experienced.

But wimmen really go for a guy with a red Thermopen.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">To me thats cheaper then ordering from a Swedish site that takes 88 GBP. Will look into this i really need one bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will gladly forward a package to you. USPS small Flat Rate Box from the states is around $14.

Back