Instant Pot Pressure Cooker

I have seen the IP in use. My sister in law loves hers but to me it's another "plug in" counter top appliance and unless you have copious amounts of counter space IMO just another space taker. I have Fagor pressure cookers in 3 sizes. IMO a much better overall investment and while not "set/forget" they are very simple to use. Select a pressure (high 15 psi or low 7.5 psi), put food in and liquid. Bring to heat, indicator pops up, set timer, time up take off flame and either allow to cool/depressurize or release the steam and depressurize. (depending on what you're cooking)
Just made a wonderful mushroom risotto last night for our weekly bible study group pot luck. 10 minutes drop dead perfect risotto. Wonderfully creamy and smooth, arborio rice had the perfect "bite" Heck you'd think Gordon Ramsey himself did it :D
IMO these devices are a much better overall investment even ATK agrees which is why I bought the Fagor products.

I'll throw in my $.02

I love my pressure cooker and have used one all my life (Mom taught me). But the more I see of the Instant Pot I might just invest in one to give it a try. It requires less watching than my pressure cooker.

I like simple things. For instance 43 years ago my in-laws gave Bill and I a rice cooker for an anniversary gift. At that time they had to go to China Town here in Chicago to find one. I was terrible at cooking rice (cause we never ate it growing up). Anyway I have loved that thing all these years because I can load it and go and it always comes out perfect!

Of course I have been cutting way back on using it as I try to reduce my carbs so it is getting a little dusty. My point is I think I would like the Instant Pot for it's simplicity.

I like mine too, I prefer it over my pressure cooker. I got the 8 quart one & am glad I did.

Here's a thread with some good recipes from earlier this year:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?72933-Things-I-ve-made-in-my-insta-pot-(that-are-worth-repeating)

The thing that surprised me the most with the IP is the browning. It consistently provides the most even browning I've ever seen from any cooking utensil, even my beloved cast iron and five-layer stainless steel with aluminum core pot. And it's fast. Once the pot has come up to temp on the saute setting it will put a beautiful deep sear on a 2" cube of pork shoulder in just a minute or two. Obviously it does a lot more, but this was the feature I wasn't expecting.

Jay;
I have to agree with you. I’m brand new to the Instant Pot (6qt. Ultra) and have only done three cooks. Pulled Pork, Beef Spare Ribs, and 1/2 dozen hard boiled eggs. I AM impressed!

I now have my “Indoor Weber”. The weather has been so stinking and variable, of late, that it has been fun to experiment INDOORS and make great food.

I have NO quarrel with those that prefer a stovetop pressure cooker, but i REALLY like my IP!

Keep on smokin’,
Dale53:wsm:

My wife is an excellent formally trained cook. However, in recent years she has had problems making pot roast using chuck roast. It just don't seem to get tender.

A couple of days ago, I did a pot roast with a three pound chuck roast with baked potatoes and carrots (just your old typical pot roast of days gone by). The meat was so tender I didn't pick up my knife. In fact, if I'm being honest, it was just a bit over cooked and the veggies were a bit soft, too. However, I made notes and the next time, I'll back off the cooking time a bit and hit the "magic middle" (not too soft, not too tough, just PERFECT!:)>)). Actually, the meal was REALLY good and I was really surprised at the depth of flavor.

The reason people complain about problems with modern pot roasts are that the cattle are fed diets that do NOT produce the meat when I was growing up on the farm. It is too lean and THAT is why they can be problematic. A good pressure cooker, both stove top and electric, DOES make that much easier to solve.

So, one might say, I am really pleased with my early Christmas present! It is NOT the best tool for everything, but you can sure work magic with them if you apply yourself. During the bad weather days, I'll be working with mine, and THAT you can be sure of!:eek:

FWIW
Keep on smokin', (and I certainly will:cool:),

So, one might say, I am really pleased with my early Christmas present! It is NOT the best tool for everything, but you can sure work magic with them if you apply yourself. During the bad weather days, I'll be working with mine, and THAT you can be sure of!:eek:

FWIW
Keep on smokin', (and I certainly will:cool:),
As with most things, practise makes perfect (and keeping a log helps too ;) )

Back