Insects in Wood

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Bryan, educate me as to why we shouldn't use green mesquite? I never use mesquite anyway, and my thoughts tell me using nearly any green wood might create more resin or sooty smoke, but is it because mesquite is so strong and "tangy" on it's own that using it green becomes disgusting overkill? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have read several times over the years that if you use green Mesquite it is very bitter. IIRC, Klose has a warning about it on his site.
EDIT: From BBQ Pits by Klose website, under BBQ Woods.
"You can use some woods green for cooking, but under no circumstances should you ever use green mesquite for smoking. It will produce a bitter taste in the pit for years that cannot be sandblasted out. People have used green mesquite before because they saw someone in a restaurant using it. That was for grilling with it, not smoking with it where there is a top capturing the bitter smoke. That stuff will black your eyes it’s so strong. Also don’t use any pine limbs. I saw a man cook with the heart of pine, promptly promoting some of the nastiest red splotches all over the skin of the unhappy diners, making them extremely sick. I think the antigens got into their bloodstream. Yuck! Stay away from pines......."

Back