Input wanted for a custom made wsm insulation system.

John_Goebel

I've been a sailmaker for 30+ years and can sew anything and get the material needed at our cost. First thought's...

I'm thinking 2 pieces one for the lid/dome and a second piece for the main body.

The top should overlap down about 2 inches? and the main body "jacket" should extend down to ground level+

Obviously we need access to vent's and door, I'm thinking of using nomex Velcro for the door/door;) and again vertically to close the main body "jacket"

Openings for handles and top vent seem simple enough, cut them out and sew binding material around them to prevent fray.

The fabric's needed for the two main pieces are very easy for me to buy. Then I would just make a good pattern and sew it all up.

Let me know what you think, lot's of possibilities. Custom embroidering on the outside, custom thermometer holes or handle slits where needed could be done pretty simply.

It's gonna' be cold soon enough, let's get this thing done.

John Goebel

With or without ATC? With jacket extending to ground level, some holes will be needed for air to get in.

Would you need to take the middle section off during a cook? Jacket to the floor could be a problem, or would jacket come off?

Insulator sounds like a good way to reduce fuel consumption.

From what I have seen so far with my WSM 22.5 I would make an insulating blanket that drapes around with four or five inches of overlap. That way it would be very easy to just roll back or take off completely for anything you have to do. Obviously accommodations for venting, probably with a mesh of some kind.

Something like this?

Silver Bullet

I have a BBQ Guru smoker jacket for my 18.5" and it really comes in handy for cooking in our cold Minnesota weather. John, if you could work up a custom version with some extra bells and whistles, that would be even better. The main feature I'd be interested in, which you mention, would be the ability to get at the door without taking the jacket completely off. The ability to take the lid off and leave the body alone would also be nice. I love the idea of custom embroidery too.

Now, if we've got a good mechanical engineer on the forum, maybe we could get them to rig up a remote-controlled robotic pair of tongs so we don't have to go outside at all...;)

It's gonna' be cold soon enough, let's get this thing done.
John Goebel

John,
No big rush getting the "camo" version done for us Bubbas down here in the South. Probably 95°+ until mid October or so :(

I think I'll do a paper pattern and post some pic's. Super busy but I am pretty confident I can come up with something to make most of us very happy:wsm:

I'll try to have pic's up Thursday, should give a good visual of where I'm at with the design as of now.

Quick answers to the points made so far...

!. yes it will be easy to remove if/when needed.

2. yes it will extend down to ground level in a way as to not interfere with bottom vents but still give good insulation around fuel chamber. Imagine a scallop effect between the leg's I'm thinking of using marine grade canvas snaps to hold it on plus a vertical zipper opposite the fuel door. So to remove you would simply unzip and unsnap the main body jacket, set it aside re-assemble cooker and re snap and zip the jacket.

These are some examples of the hardware required.
http://www.perfectfit.com/15328/DOT-Durable-Snap-Fasteners.html
http://www.perfectfit.com/15328/155925/Snap-Fasteners/38-Stainless-Screw-stud.html

Gotta' go,
John Goebel

Sounds great John, Look forward to see what you come up with. I may be interested in one. It can tend to get a little chilly here in New Mexico in the winter.

Clearly the right way to do this is to nest a 18.5" inside a 22" and insulate the gap. :)

I can't imagine how long I could run a load of charcoal at 250 in such a beast. I kept a full load going for 20 hours on my last cook, thanks to warm TX summer nights.

Back