injection - pros/cons

Bruce R

TVWBB Member
I'm abt to smoke two butts. I've read a couple of recipes that suggest injecting them with a mixture of apple and pineapple juice, however I have never done this with my butts before. Any input(no pun intended) would be appreciated. Thanks,

I never inject butts or brisket, as I think they turn out great without. However, that does not mean it not worth doing.
If it intrigues you, go ahead and try it, then let us know what you think.

There are not really any 'cons' to injecting. However the 'pros' are, you can add alot of flavor, moisture and the butts will cook a little faster. If you're going to take the time to inject do it right and pump them up until they cannot take any more liquid.

I did my last butts using the Championship injection method posted here in the cooking section and it came out great. I am going to do it again tonight for tomorrows festivities. I think this time I will add a little apple cider vinegar to the injection to give it a little more bite. One added advantage of the injection method is that it helps create a paste with the rub for a really nice bark.

I used to brine my butts before a cook. And if memory serves me right, I have inejected one or two. I don't think it hurts the butts at all. But it might be a unnesesary step, being that, once its done, and pulled, you can add whatever liquid forms of flavoring you want.

i inject as well.(but just my pork butts)i feel it adds flavor.although i have stopped mopping recently.just so ya know.
icon_biggrin.gif

I've injected my last few Butts and Briskets and I really like the results. It took my barbecue from passable but a little dry to stupidly tender and moist. I live in the desert though, so any aditional humidity really helps keep things from drying out. Lots of people are obsessed with dry heat but I suspect they're from humid places, cause I have the opposite problem.

I really like to inject my butts with Worcestershire, apple cider and sometimes vinegar. The only other way I've gotten that flavor was by soaking a butt in a large amount of cider vinegar and Worcestershire overnight (from a recipe in Smoke in the Mountains), which was expensive, wasteful and messy.

I have cooked butts several different ways...multiple different rubs, with mustard and without, letting them sit overnight and rubbing them right before they hit the smoker. All of them were good.

I never found a different way that really "wowed" me until I did the Chris Lilly injection method. I really like the meat after it has been injected. I'll probably look around for some different injections (although I really like Lilly's) but I think I will inject every butt I cook from now on.

Lee,

I modified Chris Lilly's injection for some butts I did for the forth. I added a 1/4 cup cider vinegar to the original recipe. I did not change anything else. I really like the extra tang the cidar vinegar adds to flavor. Next time I might cut down the AJ and add a little more of the cidar vinegar. Try it out, I think you will like it.

Back