Injectin' a pork butt - Always learning somethin' new

I cooked a couple of 9 lb butts on the top grate last weekend with a brisket flat on the bottom.

The brisket had been trimmed a bit agressively, but following some advice from Jim Minion (thanks, Jim) I just put a couple layers of bacon on the grate and put the brisket on top of that. The brisket came out absolutely wonderfully. It just might be my favorite BBQ meat.

With the butts, I wanted to experiment with injecting. So on the advice of Susan Z (thanks, Susan) I injected with a mixture of apple juice, maple syrup, and tobasco sauce.

One thing I did notice right off, was that the injected butt seemed to give off "steam" for the first 6 hours or so of the cook. At first I thought it was smoke coming out the top vent, but it was going on way too long for the amount of smoke wood I had in there. I popped the lid, and steam was coming off the injected butt, and not off the other.

The end results (after 20 hours) proved that the injected butt was noticably moister and more flavorful than the non-injected butt. I will be injecting from now on.

One other thing I want to note. I didn't trim the butts as much as I usually do, and I paid for it. Bark on the exterior fat of a butt isn't much good. All that beautiful bark and it just slid off... what a waste.

Note to self: Trim the dang outside fat off yer butts. The interior fat is more than adequate.

I just winged it Chris... I think the basic idea is to get some moisture/flavor in there. The apple juice and maple naturally complemented the pork. As it turned out, I didn't put enough Tabasco in it to even taste. More next time.

I've been hesitant to try injecting a real marinade. Not sure why, just concerned that it might be like leaving meat in marinade too long before cooking it. What the heck, I'll probably try this soon anyway. I've heard that FAB-P is good injected in a butt.

Tom, thanks on your report about injecting. Every now and then someone will introduce me to a concept or convince me to try one. Tom (subdude) got me to try skinless chicken- no more worries about crisping skin. I prefer it skinless.

Now you have convinced me to inject the next butt. I guess I'll be injecting from now on.

Do those of you who inject usually add some rub?

Steve this is the injection I use when competing

1 1/2 cup apple juice
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup rub
4 Tbsp worcestershire sauce

Inject till it is full.

This recipe is from Chris Lily but you personelize it with your rub and sauce.

Jim

What's up Tom. For the first time......I just realized you live over in St Pete. I used to live in Clearwater when I first got stationed down here 5 1/2 yrs ago. Then I moved to Brandon, and now live in Valrico (East of Brandon down Hwy 60). SO what time's dinner and what should I bring LOL. Just kidding. I'm curious..even after you injected it...what did you rub the butt with if anything? I am gonna smoke something......soon and I think it's gonna be a few butts..........been jones for them and now that I'm back. Definately looking to try something new..might have to whip up a home brew of some sort to inject the butt with...maybe a beer based one.

Hey, Tom! Glad it worked out. Thanks for sharing the results. I'm doing some butts (at least, I'm hoping there are 2 butts in the cryovac thing that says 13 pounds on it---couldn't possibly be a single butt that big, could it? Boneless, too.), and I'll give this a whirl! It's been so long since I've done butts and brisket I'm actually nervous.

Steve,

Try it, you won't regret it.

Jim,

Thanks for sharing that injection recipe. I'll definitely try it.

Matt,

Yep, I'm just across the bay... Yes, I did use rub - Texas BBQ Rub Original. I love that stuff.

Susan,

Sounds like you got 2 butts there... Butts & Brisket together were made for each other. I don't know how a brisket could turn out bad with a couple of butts basting it for hours.

Thanks, Jim, I thought that must be the case. Their bonelessness is freaking me out (even tho I've done boneless before). And in your honor, I will be trying the radical fat-cap-down method on the brisket!

I know briskets are never happier than when being basted by butts from above, and I know the ol' WSM can turn out magical bbq practically on its own, but I'm still feeling rusty (plus this is for a New Year's Day party!). Yipes!

Don't know if I'll try out the new guru for this cook or not. I'm all panicky as it is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan Z:
Don't know if I'll try out the new guru for this cook or not. I'm all panicky as it is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Go for it Suz. You know what you're doing, the Guru knows what it's doing... use it.
Fired mine up (1st time) Christmas morning (early) with a 20 lbs chunk o'beef in the cooker and 26 people wanting something to eat for lunch. Worked great.

Hi,
Two things... First can someone recommend a source for an injecting syringe. I can't wait to try injecting a couple of butts. Sounds really good.

Second...Suzan I get the boneless butts all the time. If you tie them up don't tie'em too tight. The first time I did it I went a little over the top. Seems like it compressed the meat and they took much longer to cook. After that... just enough to hold 'em together.
I was thinking of butterflying one instead of tying. What do you think ?? There would be lots more bark.!!
icon_smile.gif

Al

Al,

Go to Amazon and search for:

"Chef Williams Deluxe Marinade Injector"

This is the one I got. It's $12 and seems fairly substantial. Be sure to use one of the links here on TVWB to get to Amazon.

I just looked at two injectors. Can't remember who made them, but they were metal with a three-circle handle on the plunger. One was a 2 oz capacity and the other a 4 oz. The smaller one had a shorter needle with a single hole at the tip. The bigger one had a longer needle with several holes. Any suggestion on which one to purchase. They were around $24.00 and $30.00 respectively. I don't mind spending a few bucks more as they look like they're built pretty well. Just can't decide which one to go with.

Sounds like the one I was givin as a present, the Cajun Injector" by Reece Williams. 6" Works great.

Russ the larger unit would be used for injecting whole hog and the like, much larger than than you would ever need for a cook on a WSM.
Jim

Back