Injected Brisket with a Piedmont Pan?

Tom Chips

TVWBB All-Star
I was wondering if anyone has tried using an injection of marinade, watered down sauce etc.. along with a Piedmont Pan method cook for brisket.

I have alot to learn on turning out good brisket,but its starting to improve.

I ask this because from my studies, the more moist the environment, the better the smoke ring penetration on average. ( along with many other factors)

My last brisket and pork butt turned out decent, but still dry. I didnt think there was as much of a smoke ring penetration on either, compared to other methods.

I haven't started basting yet. But I might, if I can get some more moisture in my meat.

I have a ton of ribs to cook up this weekend, and then the next attempt will be an injected brisket. Probably just some water/worchesterchire sauce/apple juice mix.

Im willing to try anything to boost the moisture and tenderness of brisket.

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Im willing to try anything to boost the moisture and tenderness of brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you decide when to take it off?

If you say temp that is where your problem is in my opinion. I use a therm and use it to see the temp to 180. Once it hits that temp I just go and check the tenderness using the therm or a fork like usually comes with grilling tools. When the therm or the fork slide into the brisket like it is melted butter it's time to take her off. Seems like once it hits tender it starts to dry out fast.

When I first started cooking brisket that was my complaint. Either too tough or too dry. I had read others post this technique for quite a while before I started doing it. It is the difference between an ok brisket and an excellent one. It took a few times doing this before I really got it. I haven't been unhappy with a brisket since though.

Thats good advice, that I have tried and still use. I dont worry so much about the final temp, as opposed to the fork feel.

One mistake I do know I made, was when I checked the flat, it was tender and soft, but I didn't check much on the point. I dont think my temps were high enough towards the last part of the cook, and the point was still a bit too stringy and tough.

I was just thinking it might be a way to add aditional moisture since its cooking over a dry heat. I think I will give it a try, as well as an occasional baste.

Again, thanks for any imput.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:

One mistake I do know I made, was when I checked the flat, it was tender and soft, but I didn't check much on the point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it would be hard to get the flat moist and the point done at the same time. I haven't done many briskets, but I've read about people that pull the brisket, cut off the point and put it back on the cooker to finish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I haven't started basting yet. But I might, if I can get some more moisture in my meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Basting will not put moisture into meat.

Basting can add flavor(s) to the meat's surface; if the baste is water-based (or primarily so) it can slow cooking as the evaporation of the baste causes cooling on the surface; it can speed cooking if the baste is primarily fat-based as evaporation is reduced. Both types of bastes might prevent some moisture loss--if done frequently--but neither will get moisture into the meat.

To get moisture into meat you can 1) brine; 2) inject; or 3) marinate. (I sometimes marinate depending on time and how and with what I'm serving the brisket.)

The key, irrespective of the above, is to prevent excessive moisture loss. Cooking till tender and not to a specific temp is important, as Jeff notes. Cooking at too low a temp is one way of getting a dry brisket because evaporation occurs over too long a period of time. Though rendering happens, many briskets (especially lower end Choice and Select packers (particularly if thin) and most flats) are not marbled well enough to counteract the dryer potential of too much evaporation. Cooking at a higher temp is one way to help prevent this. Another is to help contain the moisture more directly by foiling.

You can add moisture by one of the methods mentioned above before cooking so that when the loss occurs the net remaining is higher. Or you can cook at a higher temp. Or you can do both. And you can add foil into the mix, if you wish. What you cannot do is overcook--that's a dealbreaker. Hope this helps.

Kevin

P.S. I never check the point. I pull the brisket when the flat is tender. I occasionally separate the point and toss it back on the smoker for further cooking, but mostly I save it for chili, enchiladas, taquitos, or something else that will require further cooking at that point.

~260-275 grate if no foiling is planned; 310-325 if I foil (in this case I foil when the palteau is broken). The latter approach is the one I most often use these days. I have a brisket on now, a 13.5-pounder, and I'll likely foil. The cooker temp is still climbing.

I cook til the flat is tender then seperate the point which is very easy when cooked. I foil the point and put back in the cooker for another hour sometimes 2. Pretty much what is handy.

Thank you for the feedback, I will try injecting and foiling then. I thought I was towards the upper end of a high temp brisket doing my last one at 285 at the top vent for 13 hours. But I didnt foil at all.

I think I will try that way and see what I get. I might turn out something respectable after all.

Thanks again.

I heard alot of people say you shouldnt brine a brisket, cause it ends up tasting more like pork? I usually brine my pork butts,and I always prefer the way they turn out compared to not brining, so maybe I should give it a try on brisket?

Back