Inexpensive gas grill

Marc Eagles

Is it possible to get a descent gas grill for under $250. I've seen a few between 169-200 but the reviews aren't too good.

Charbroil will get the job done, but they rust out within 5 years. Personally I'd scour craigslist for a used weber genesis or buy a weber kettle and use charcoal.

Charbroil will get the job done, but they rust out within 5 years. Personally I'd scour craigslist for a used weber genesis or buy a weber kettle and use charcoal.

What Matt said is spot on. Many of us at the forum have gotten used Genesis from Craigslist and rehabbed them. Mine is almost twenty years old and now has a new lease on life and will go another 20. These things will last forever if given a little love. And to make it even sweeter, Weber still sells parts for the old units. Can't get much better than that. Good luck.

Another vote for Craig's List. Also, yard sales, or, I was able to score a free silver B (older Weber gas grill) for free just by noticing the grill sitting at the curb. A simple disassembly and a fresh coat of paint and some flavorizer bars later,and my I laws had a new weber grill! That was almost 10 years ago and they still use it today.
Good luck,
Tim

I picked up two performers, one brand new and a Smokey Joe plus a three burner gasser (E320) and a 18.5 WSM off of Craig's list for less than the price of one performer. I also have my three burner Genesis 1000 LX I bought new in 1999, which still works perfectly. You just can't beat a Weber if you want something that's going to last.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Char-Broil-Convective-4-Burner-Grill-Stainless-Steel-Black/39073040?type=search

I bought one a month ago and love it. I wanted a Weber, new or used, but this put me in the game until I can do better.

I've burned through probably 10 cheap gas grills over the years. If you leave them out in the weather, figure on 2-3 years of service. If you cover it and put it away in the winter (if you live where there is winter ;) ), bump that up to 5.

After that, the cooking grates, flavor bars and burners rust away to uselessness, as do any other internal steel parts like flavor bar supports.

Most of these cheap grills do not have available OEM replacement parts, you end up using universal replacements that don't fit or work well, and rust out even faster than the originals.

Unless you intend it to be a throw-away, you're better off investing in a top-quality grill like a Weber Genesis that will last forever, with genuine Weber replacement parts available nearly forever.

I agree with everyone else about looking for a used Weber on craigslist. Here's a link for the Weber grills available in and around San Diego. Best of luck.
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=weber+gas+grill

I refurbished two Webers for under $200. Find one for sale (Craigslist) that is under 10 years old because the burners are warranted for 10 years. Get a rough one for like $50 and then spend a little time cleaning it up. Really all you have to do is scrape out the fire box. Then, buy new SS flavorizer bars and new SS or cast iron grates and you'll have a great grill for under $200. As I said, I've done this twice now and gave them to my son in laws and they were so nice that it made be a little upset that I spent so much buying my Genesis new for around $700. Basically could have saved $500 and been very satisfied.

Back