Independence Day wings on WSM 18

Jim C in Denver

TVWBB All-Star
I've been getting great crispy wings on the WSM 18 using (basically) Chris' hot/fast chicken recipe.

Blot the wings with paper towels and sprinkle with salt (both sides). Overnight in the fridge on a cooling rack. Next day, blot again (both sides), season with POG, and get smoke roasting.

1.5 chimneys of briqs lit. Then add wood chunks and/or lump to get some extra heat and smoke. Cook direct over the coals (PBC style with no pan) on the top rack. Crack the lid and/or the door if needed to get up into the 300-350F roasting zone. Takes a little under an hour at 325F. Better to overcook a bit than undercook -- so 175-185F internal for me.

I've stopped doing the grate down on the ring as the final crisping step. That works for me when doing bigger chicken pieces. But too many incinerated flats when doing wings. Lot of times I don't need a final crisp. If I do, I take the door completely off. Or do a few minutes at 425F on a cooling rack in the kitchen oven (works best with convection).

My cooker is rigged up for three racks, so I can most easily use the top two without fear of incineration from dripping juice. Each 18" rack easily fits 2.5 pounds of wings. For a bigger batch, I use the third/lowest grate too but have to keep an eye on it. Many times, I'll just use packs of wing drumettes rather than party wings. In the quest for crispy, there's a fine line with flats between crisp vs burned.

I get enough crisp this way that I don't feel the need for any extra steps (baking powder; meat tenderizer skin punctures, brushing with oil, brining). All those things work too, but dry wings and roasting temps are usually enough to do the trick.

Attachments

• wsm 18 wings.JPG
    wsm 18 wings.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Back