Increase the sweet w/honey?

Sean M.

TVWBB Fan
Some of my guests like a sweeter vs. spicier rub. In the past I would prepare a butt by rubbing mustard, coating with Turbinado, then mixing in a dry rub like Wild Willy's, BRITU (1/2 the salt!), or Texas BBQ.

What kind of bark problems, carmelization problems would I get into if I replaced the mustard with honey?

According to the TexasBBQ site,
"Sugars will begin to burn at temperature of about 325 degrees and can leave a bitter taste to foods you are cooking."

If I am cooking at 225*, would this be a problem?

Thanks,
~ Sean

ive never tried that but im thinking you might run into some burning issues with it.
Also I really dont think mustard imparts a flavor to the meat over a long cook but honey may .
In any event Id be curious to see what the outcome is if you do it

I've never tried that either, however, last weekend I did some spares that I used a maple syrup/stock bbq sauce based finishing sauce (glaze almost since it was pretty thick). I also added some habenero powder to it to try to get a sweet/hot thing going. I didn't have any burning problem with it, the problem I had with it was that it was really sticky. I would think honey could get like that if it cools down a little bit. Takes a lot of moist lemon scented towelettes to get that stuff off your hands. If you could get the honey on there thin enough might not be too big an issue; maybe warm the honey up a little bit before getting it on the ribs might give ya better spreading capability. Be a good experiment no matter what.....
Anyway I'm ramblin, my $.02.....

Rob

Whoops!!! saw the BRITU and thought you were talkin' 'bout ribs...sorry 'bout that...

I think you'll have a very dark sticky bark which is probably not what you're looking for. I would just increase the sugar content of your rub, by say 25%. What kind of sauce are you using with the pulled pork? If its a sweet Kansas City style, you could add some honey 5:1 to increase the sweetness.

Al

Back