Inaccurate Polder

Joe Dang

TVWBB Super Fan
Ok I've had this polder for quite a while. I run through polder/therms like they're kleenex. I ruined a knockoff one last week by burning the crap out of it on a grill.

Back to the polder. This is a real branded Polder, 362-90 you see here:
http://www.amazon.com/Polder-Original-Cooking-Timer-The...id=1208938375&sr=8-1

When I first got it a while ago, inserted into boiling water it would only go to 206 or so. Close enough, I dealt with it, always knowing it was about 6 degrees off (I know it may be more or less accurate at other temperatures). But again, I ruined the probe. I looked online, and found that replacement probes were sold, so I bought two. Polder 364, for replacement of my very device.

Well I get them in today, two of them, and they both read 199F in boiling water. 199 is way off, and I'm afraid to use them. Is there a way to adjust or calibrate these things? Or are the a lost cause. I am not cheap, and will definitely go buy something else, but I just spent $20 on these two freakin probes, and would like to not waste if possible.

Are polders generally pretty good? If so, I can buy another Polder, and at least have two spare probes for when I inevitably ruin them.

EDIT: I just went and put them in ice water, it goes below 32F into "Low"

It seems to me I have read that water boils at different temperatures depending on your altitude. I can't imagine there would be 13 degrees of variation though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Dang:
EDIT: I just went and put them in ice water, it goes below 32F into "Low" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had two Polder food therms for over a year and they work fine. If I remember the instructions correctly, they will register "low" at temps below, I think it is, 35*. I do know that a lot of times I'll put meat on the cooker right out of the fridge, stick a probe in and it will show "low", but once the food gets to a readable level, the therm kicks right in and works. That sometimes has taken an hour with a larger piece of meat

I have had problems in the past with a different probe for the wrong polder...see www.polderstore.com to get the right probe for the right polder...make sure the probe is really clean, and try checking the temp with an ice bath to see if that varies as well...

BBQJEDI .02 worth

Back