In your opinion: What's the perfect rib?

Any rib Iam eating at the moment is my perfect rib .
icon_biggrin.gif

Moist , tender, got to have smoke, good savory rub with a light coat of sauce late in the cook. I prefer a rib that is a tad spicy but the sauce has to be set. No sauce on the side for me.

First I'll give you my easy answers, WHAT I HATE.

I hate a mushy over cooked rib that "Falls off the bone". It should never fall of the bone and you shouldn't be able to smoosh it between your teeth like Jello. Hitting that just right point between tough and mushy is the mark of a well experienced cook.

I hate a rib that is rubbed or sauced so heavily you could be eating cardboard and not know the difference. Well cooked fatty pork has an incredible flavor that should be allowed to shine through whatever rub or sauce is applied.

I also hate over smoked ribs. The surface area to mass ratio of a rib means they can take much more smoke relative to a butt or brisket. That means it's easy to over smoke ribs and get a bitter taste. Again, don't overwhelm the pork flavor.

"Tobasco flavor" is something I haven't enjoyed on ribs. I ate at Arthur Bryants in Kansas City and didn't care for it at all.

"Vinegar flavor" I've also eaten allot of ribs heavily mopped in vinegar and didn't like that much. A little is ok, but having to take a deep breath before biteing into my rib or I'd choke was a bit much.

Now the hard part, what I like, and I like allot.

Heat - I like a gentle burn on the back of my tongue without having my lips burn or my nose run.

Sweet - I want a bit of sweetness in either the sauce or the rub, and carmelized is even better. Grill the sauced ribs a bit (I use a blow torch sometimes).

One of the best ribs I've ever eaten was my own. Salt, Pepper, Light smoke and perfectly cooked (wish I could do that every time). I can't remember what wood I used but I think it was apple.

I've tried it again many times but I haven't ever quite duplicated that one cook and I'm not sure just what it was that made them so fantastic.

Back