I'm thinking of getting a rotisserie for my kettle

Jamie Mathews

TVWBB Member
Hi, I'm thinking of trying to do a little kettle grilling with a rotisserie. I'd love to try chickens, turkeys, prime rib.

(1) Can anyone give me general impressions of their experiences with cooking on a kettle with a rotisserie? I'm having awesome prime rib success with simple indirect grilling, but the rotisserie looks really appealing, particularly for poultry.

(2) I have the Weber 26.75 inch kettle. I don't believe there is a rotisserie option available? No biggie, I'll get a cheap 22.5 incher somewhere if I have to...

I tried out my brand new rotisserie over the weekend on a 3.5 lb tri-tip. I know tri-tips are traditionally grilled like a piece of steak and that's how I've been cooking it all along but I wanted to try something different this time so I decided to grill it using the rotisserie. It came out great as it was one of the better tri-tips I've done on the kettle with this set up. Piercing the meat didn't do any harm. Plus, I was able to walk away during the cook, not having to turn the tri-tip manually every several minutes.
I've only used it once but I'm loving it so far. I'm already looking forward to doing poultry and spareribs on the rotis this weekend.

P1050710.jpg

Jamie: I would love to have a rotis for my kettle. And i think the ring alone adds some extra cooking ideas. Read This Post and get some ideas.

I had used a rotisserie on my Genesis gasser for years doing whole chickens. Then tried some ribs which came out great. Recently I bought the extension ring and another rotisserie for my kettle. I have done chicken and tri tips over charcoal and love it. Have a prime rib in the freezer waiting to go too. By all means a rotisserie is a must have. My work network will not allow access to photo bucket but will put up a couple of pics here when I get home tonight. I even have a third unit to someday put on the WSM and have my eyes on the rib-o-lator. You won't regret the purchase.

Wow, that tri-tip on the rotisserie, looks Fantastic! Makes me want to go out and buy one for my grill too!

One of the best cooking investments I've made is a Weber Rotisserie for my Weber Kettles. It will work on a Performer, but I use it on a One Touch Silver that I converted into a OTG.

Rotisserie chicken is amazing - and makes fantastic smoked chicken salad. I've done pork loin on the rotisserie and for my daughter's high school graduation, I did a whole beef tenderloin.

I have some baskets that fit on the rotisserie rod that I'm going to use to cook some chicken pieces one weekend very soon.

Pat

George, How long did you cook that tri tip? I have been doing mine about 45 minutes but the coals have been indirect behind fire brick.

This rotis has been for sale in my area for well over a month. Just made him an offer guess we'll see what kind of reply i get.

I have one I got for free. If you cook a bunch of poultry and/or roasts you will like it. I am big on the pig myself and I simply don't use it that much. When I use it though its great. If you have all the toys except a roti and have money to spare go for it. But if I knew what I knew now and had an extra 100$ to spend on BBQ stuff I'd be more likely to get something else you might not have... like a cast iron grate or WSM.

Originally posted by Wolgast:
Jamie: I would love to have a rotis for my kettle. And i think the ring alone adds some extra cooking ideas. Read This Post and get some ideas.

It seems like that setup could be a huge pain if you needed to tend coals or add wood.

Originally posted by Stefan B:
Scored that one i posted above for 50$
icon_smile.gif

Way to go Stefan. I was going to get my brother to buy it and send it to me. I would have given the guy $75.00, did you pick it up yet?
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Bradley Bruns:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulFisher:
Does the rotisserie work on a performer?

Yes, it works just fine.
The only issue: the lid can't sit in the lid holder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Works fine. Just have to find a place for the lid when it's not in use.

picture2le.png

By hogsfan at 2011-04-25

picture1ol.png

By hogsfan at 2011-04-25

picture3ag.png

By hogsfan at 2011-04-25

Originally posted by John Frailey:
George, How long did you cook that tri tip? I have been doing mine about 45 minutes but the coals have been indirect behind fire brick.
Hi John, actually, I had the coals all banked to one side during the 1st half hour of the cook, then I spread them out for the last 15 minutes or so to add some char to the meat. I thought it worked out well. I'll definitely be doing this again soon.
icon_smile.gif

Hey guys, first post. I just finally got a Weber Kettle, a 22" one touch gold. I don't know why I waited so long. I've been smoking for years with a big Brinkman Cimarron Delux and have grilled all my life.

A lot of the time I'd just use the my smoker as a grill and fill up the smoke chamber with coals, but it's not the ideal way as far as convenience goes.

Anyway, the very first thing I'm doing is ordering a roto. I've done open pit spit cooking, but from what I can see in some of the photos on this site, most of you seem to keep the lid closed when roto-ing. Is that pretty much the best way or are there times when you run it with the lid off?

Thanks in advance. I also want to say that I've been browsing this site on and off for a few years and it's been a huge help, especially with my smoking. Hopefully I'll be able to give back a little.

Back