I'm stuck with a new build

Wow! This thing is so cool!

Last night I fab'd up scrap hunk of 1.25" tubing that was in the scrap pile with a small piece of 22g sheet metal and tacked it together with the TIG torch because my wife told me "had 5 minutes and she was starting dinner in the oven". We were having Salmon, brocolli, and mashed taters and I really wanted to cook the Salmon on the BGE with the HM even though I won't have the WiFi and new probes until later today.

So here is my 4 minutes of work (I was outside lighting it when I got the 5 minute warning):

IMAG22341_zpsbf77b7e6.jpg

I as the temperature ramped up, I realized quickly that I needed to still control the top vent to be roughly what it would be to maintain 375 degrees as I overshot a bit. After getting that worked out, the temperature settled in at 375 and just sat there for the most part. I should have taken a picture of the hole on the other side of the sheet metal--I drilled a 3/16" pilot and then tacked the tubing on so that I could clamp the tubing in the vice and enlarge the hole with a stepper bit. I didn't measure, but opened it up to about 7/8" I'd guess thinking that I could make it bigger if need be--again, this is just a temporary solution and I'll make something nicer when I've got an hour.

The idea of the smaller hole was to build sort of a natural damper in that I wouldn't have a big enough opening to worry about free flow through the fan. I watched periodically and most of the time the fan was only running between say 20-40% and once I started to adjust the top vent a bit more, it dropped to between nothing and say 30%.

The next iteration will certainly have features to prevent the possibility of coals getting into the fan and look like a finished product rather than a thrown together w/ electrical tape thing.

Thanks again for all the help and I look forward to getting the WiFi working tonight.

Ralph, I've been reading about your rotodamper and depending on what I come up with, you may be seeing an email from me though I may just play around and see what I can fab up too--I have some plans in my head that may or may not pan out. I'll certainly keep you guys posted with my progress.

Nice. If it's working right, you should be able to leave the small holes on the daisy wheel on your BGE fully open. The servo driven damper is really nice because you have full control over the air flow into the bottom vent, being able to fully control the convection process.

I had my first cook and it went ok. I did a pork butt for the Cowboy/Packers game and everyone was very pleased with the result. It was as good as I've ever had before and I have some ideas to tweak and good a smoother curve next time. Thanks again for all the help and my parts for a second HM w/ thermocouple support arrived this weekend. My neighbor was very envious of the HM and asked a lot of questions about it. I have a feeling he'll be adding one to his smoker soon.

1stCook_zps5fb19506.png

Guys, I'm all set. I've been fiddling with things and tweaking my stuff and managed this today on a pork tenderloin for lunch. I also finished building my BGE stand this weekend so combined with my HM, the BGE is a really nice setup for cooking now.

Thanks again for all the support and it really is so much fun every time I cook with the HM now. This really is a great community.

Jay

porkloin_zps8a697e8f.png

FrontBGE_zps8d75ed12.jpg

RearBGE_zpsd8649249.jpg

Back