Im not putting this part back on my resto unless u make me!

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
This part is on an old school 13 bar 1000. I assume its function is to keep the side trey from getting too hot and melting the plastic wood.......am I right? I have never seen a grill with this part on it before.20211024_123131.jpg

Ok ok.....i will paint and put back on.....it still has durawood.....i assume the original.....its that green 1000 i have been showing off lately............thanks all.......enjoy the holiday.......gobble gobble

Nice restoration!
Yes!

JimV, please warn the buyer that leaving the durawood table shoved up against the left side of the cookbox as shown in the picture may result in that durawood slat softening and becoming bowed, despite having the OEM spacer installed. It has happened.

Make sure the table is well away from the cookbox. The crossover tube is there and creates a lot of heat at that end.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys....i have a few extra parts shelves that i have noticed this phenomenon .....i figured thats what happened. I will install the divider and inform the buyer.......good to know.....many thanks!

JimV, Steve, Dan, I sometimes take a heat gun to my 3D printed somethings to tweak the fit...I have a massive ACE Hardware heat gun that I think would work to straighten out any bowed durawood, but I don't have anything to try my theory on. I think you could put the table upside down on a flat surface and heat the bowed slat up enough to get it back into shape, but it seems like nobody likes durawood enough to try it except me!

JimV, Steve, Dan, I sometimes take a heat gun to my 3D printed somethings to tweak the fit...I have a massive ACE Hardware heat gun that I think would work to straighten out any bowed durawood, but I don't have anything to try my theory on. I think you could put the table upside down on a flat surface and heat the bowed slat up enough to get it back into shape, but it seems like nobody likes durawood enough to try it except me!
Full disclosure: I don't hate durawood, I just like real wood better. That's an awfully thick piece of plastic to melt back into shape. I personally don't think it would work. The easy solution would be to harvest the durawood from a parts grill and just replace the one bowed slat.

I have a bent piece of durawood and I'm game to try and straighten it.

This is the heat gun I have, and I also have a torch.

Wagner Spraytech 0503008 HT1000 Heat Gun, 2 Temp Settings 750ᵒF & 1000ᵒF, Great for Soften paint, Caulking, Adhesive, Putty Removal, Shrink Wrap, Bend Plastic Pipes, Loosen Rusted Nuts or Bolts

Last edited:
Lucky me I have some extra durawood from the free green 1000 with the cut frame, so other than wasting a few KWH, it is worth a try.
Alright, I'm definitely interested in any kind of experiment. The extra durawood is a much easier solution to the problem is all I'm saying.

Of course, simply replacing it would be the easiest option. I don't know if a heat gun has enough poop to heat a piece of plastic of that size in a timely manner...it may require some time in a toaster or wall oven...but the same forces that caused it to distort should also work to restore its shape.

Back