I'm not going to say the name of this vegetable side dish...Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
because if people saw "Brussels sprout recipe" nobody would click it!
icon_wink.gif
But, even if you don't like sprouts much you should try this recipe. I wasn't big on them until I ate them this way, and they have become a favorite of myself and everyone I've cooked them for. Remember to shake the pan once in a while or they'll burn and not brown evenly. Oh and of course, I use bacon fat rather than olive oil.
icon_biggrin.gif
(I think pancetta fat would be even better!)

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Copyright 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt ( I like these salty like French fries), and serve immediately.

Mr Phil, What's not to love about Brussel Sprouts?
icon_smile.gif
Is this for fresh sprouts only? Have you ever tried it with frozen? Thanks much for the recipe, can't wait to try it.
icon_cool.gif
Mmmm bacon fat.
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Bryan,

Not sure about the frozen sprouts. I'm assuming that if you thawed them out first then cook they'd be the same, but I don't think it'd work well if you tried to directly use frozen sprouts...I'd think the outside would burn before the inside was done.
I just finished off a big plate of them, my first time doing them in bacon grease. Awesome. Way awesome. If you're going to make them, keep checking on the things to make sure they don't get burnt...mine got a *bit* overdone even though I cut 10 minutes off the recommended cooking time.

So I'm not alone in my love for sprouts?! I thought I was the only one!
icon_wink.gif

Back when I was in boot camp they must have had gotten a good deal on brussel sprouts. We had them for lunch & dinner every day for a week. They shall never pass my lips again, I would eat liver first.

Try tossing whole peeled shallots (halved if large) with the sprouts and roast with them. 3 min before finish add the juice from a half lemon and some white pepper; toss. Add a handful of seedless red grapes, finish in oven (grapes should just be warmed through); remove to bowl, toss; add a few drops of lemon and adjust salt; toss and serve.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
I use bacon fat rather than olive oil.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta

Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay

3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound sliced pancetta, diced
4 shallots, thinly sliced
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
8 baby Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 lemon, juiced

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Heat oil over medium heat in a roasting pan or large skillet. Add the pancetta and cook until golden brown and crisp. Remove the pancetta to a plate lined with paper towels. Add the shallots to the pan and cook until soft. Add the Brussels sprouts and potatoes and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven until the vegetables are cooked through and golden brown. Remove the vegetables from the oven and stir in the butter and lemon juice. Transfer to a platter and top with the reserved pancetta.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
I use bacon fat rather than olive oil.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta

Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So does this mean great minds think alike?

Oh wait, it's Bobby Flay.
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I just love brussel sprouts and was thinking that a splash or two of Balsamic vinegar would really go good with these little treasures along with the shallots.
icon_smile.gif
I'm thinking a nice reduced cream balsamic/lemon sauce with bacon or pancetta.

Back