I'm not for foiling ribs or against it - just my experiment

Bob Hruska

TVWBB Fan
but I did a nice experiment today...

I was following BRITU pretty much to the letter, and I thought at 3 hours that the ribs looked a little dry. Why not run a little experiment...

I took about 6 bones and put them in foil with a good dousing of apple juice. Then I waited an hour, where I would normally start checking all the ribs for doneness with the pull test.

I unfoiled the 6 bones. None of the others were ready via the pull test, so I let them all sit. All told, they went about another 45 minutes.

So I had one batch that went 4.75 hours straight, and a batch that went 3-1-.75.

Both of them ended up very good - but there's NO QUESTION - the foil will tender them up and make them flake off the bone. Taste was virtually identical to me and my family.

Bottom line - if you want them moist-ish and falling of the bone, give foil a try. If you want more "traditional" BBQ go without. They both work. Both sides know what they are talking about, I'm here to tell you!

I used to live in Raleigh. I competed for the 1st time last weekend and made six racks of spares. I did a similar test. I let all three on the top rack go wiithout foil and the bottom three I foiled for different times. One hour/45 minutes and 30 minutes for the different racks. I liked the ones on the the top with out foil better. I cooked at a lid temp of 230.

Back