"I'm grilling in the rain..."

Warwick B (Waz)

TVWBB Member
Sung to the tune of "Singing in the Rain"
icon_biggrin.gif

So my first brisket smoke is in jeopardy this weekend because as a greenhorn I don't know how to grill in the rain. My head is filled with worries like - will rain on the hot bullet crack or warp the lid or body; will it leak and cause the coals to sputter and kick up ash; will it affect the temperature much. I'm in Austin and the forecast is 50% chance of rain this Saturday and 40% Sunday so either day I may be in for a wet smoke. I have a tarp but nowhere to really anchor it to. I'd planned to start early - around 6am - and cook the whole day. So once again I'm hoping that the collective wisdom of the board will help me to allay my fears about what rain can do to my bullet or suggest ways that I can easily cover the smoker.

If it's just a lite rain there's no issue. I've tended my WSM while holding an umbrella.

I'd only worry if it was a pouring rain; so much that it'd put out the fire if you lifted the lid.
icon_wink.gif

It might affect temps, not so much because of splash, put because of the cooler outside temp.

oooo ... I like Theo B.'s use of a plastic garbage can lid over the WSM lid in Timothy's link.

As long as you can light your fire and get the meat on without getting drenched you are good. To deflect rain from going through the top vent just take a piece of foil and wrap it around the lid handle and extend it over the vent holes. The smoker will not suffer in the rain. You probably will get a little water in the charcoal bowl, but I'm fully confident that you can deal with that.
icon_smile.gif

Signed, Gene Kelly

Yeah the garbage can idea is great. Simple and quick and may be all I need for this weekend. I actually have some plastic yard trimming bins that have lids that I can try. I also have a couple of ladders and the tarp and can try to make a lean-to. Its a monster tarp though. I used to rent a place in the Santa Cruz mountains with a wood fired stove and I bought this tarp to cover a full cord of wood outside.

Back