I'm Baffeled

G Mercado

I did my fourth brisket today and I'm lost. It was a 9lb brisket which was done in 5 hours. I used three different thermometers in different areas of the brisket and low and behold it was done with an internal temp of 195. There is no smoke ring and as a matter of fact, the brisket had no smoke flavor. On the bright side, because of all of you guys, the bark was great. I'm just at a loss for words because the darn things was done so quickly. :confused:

Well, at least you caught it before it turned to jerky. What temps were you running? Did you foil the brisket?

I ran into a similar problem the first time I used a clay saucer instead of water in the pan. I had two briskets, one on the top grate and one brisket on the bottom grate. There was only about 1/2 inch clearance between the bottom grate and the saucer. I only had a temp probe in the top brisket and when I was getting ready to foil the top brisket @ 170 degrees, I checked the bottom brisket and it was already at 200.

The bottom grate was running a lot hotter than the top grate. The next time I inverted the saucer and it gave plenty of clearance and the grates are about even temp wise.

I just did a high temp brisket and foiled it, which seemed to kill the smoke ring. It did have a nice mesquite smell and taste, though.

I noticed you mention three therms but did not say anything about how hot you were running the smoker? Was your brisket a flat or a full packer? I'm curious to know more about your cooking method.

I have been lucky to keep my smoke ring after foiling because I don't remove it from the fridge until it goes right in the smoker. Wonder how hot your pit was running??

I just had a thought I will ask in a new thread............

What temps were you cooking at? How much and what type of wood did you use?

I've never known foiling to affect the smoke ring.It just mushes up the bark

Back