I'm ashamed of myself. First smoke in a year!

Kendra

TVWBB Member
I'm so ashamed!

I haven't smoked anything since last spring.

I had everything to get the Weber going this morning but as I stood there staring at the chimney and bag of charcoal I couldn't remember how I use to get it going. I knew there was a method to it, but darned if I could remember.

So I came here to find the Minion method again. I've forgotten how easy and quick it was to get the thing going and up to temp.

It's been 30 minutes or so and it's already put together with the meat, and the temp is sneaking up. Up to 219 now.

Then I had to dig through my 3 digital thermometers to figure out what I used before. Oy!

Well, it's all worked out now. I can't believe I couldn't remember the "method".

Just smelling the smoke is already making me hungry. Dinner will be very late tonight because I almost put off smoking till tomorrow. I'm doing a small brisket and a butt, then I'll freeze some of both to take camping this year.

Anyone else smoking this weekend?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone else smoking this weekend? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I did a brisket last weekend and tonight I am going to cook a Chuck Roll. It will be my first time for this cut of meat.
Welcome back to the awesome world of smoking
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I wish I was smoking this weekend but unfortunately we are heading down to San Diego. You mentioned freezing the extra meat, we just got back from the Grand Canyon and took a bunch of pulled pork, it was amazing. We made BBQ sandwiches and the kids loved them. Have a great weekend and enjoy your cook.

yep. Doing an 8lb brisket (low & slow this time), some thighs and a couple of racks of ribs tomorrow. Lots of spring yard work that needs to get done. Perfect thing to do while smoking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
3 butts and a 4 lb chuck roast on one of the black beauties.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you do name your WSM
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
3 butts and a 4 lb chuck roast on one of the black beauties.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you do name your WSM
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, "they" don't actually have names but I do refer to "them" as "the Black Beauties"
icon_wink.gif
Cleaning them up this afternoon for a Sat/Sun cook.

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Yes!!
icon_cool.gif

A local grocer has butt on sale for $.99 a pound. There are only two of us that will be around this weekend but I plan on smoking 14 lb's of pork Saturday. Start the kettle around 6am, finish in the oven by 4pm, hold until 6.

With so much foodbetween two of us we will be eating the leftovers all Sunday as well. During the week I stick to a strict diet so the weekends I let loose!
icon_biggrin.gif

The plans look something like this:

Saturday: Coleslaw, stove-top mac n cheese (Alton Brown), pulled pork with #5 sauce, bread pudding and vanilla ice cream

Sunday Breakfast: Corn tortillas topped with eggs, pork, pico, cheese...

Sunday Lunch: BBQ pulled pork pizza with crushed tomato/#5 sauce, fresh mozzarella, sauteed onion, and minced garlic. Probably pair with some leftover mac n cheese.

Sunday Dinner: Pulled pork with #5 sauce in the slow cooker... made into sandwiches... by that time I think I will be smoked out for a few days.

Freeze the remainder for baked beans.

Haven't smoked since last Spring either - it's been areal hard winter up here in Toronto. And, fwiw, I always *think* I remember how to do everything, and then find out i don't the hard way.

Back