I'm a rebel.... Bachelor night at my house... Ribeye w/experimental rub

John K BBQ

TVWBB Wizard
I love my dear wifey, but when she's not around I break all the rules. Normally, when she's here, it's strip or filet, garlic bread instead of baked potato and brocoli or some sort of lettuce salad. Well friends, not tonight! I'm went crazy, got a ribeye, a russet, and some green beans, and had myself a time.

Here's the ribeye before - sprinkled with a generous dose of Cattleman's Smokey Chipotle... Ribeye wasn't very thick, but figured with that nice section of "cap" or spinalis on it it would be good eatin'. Since it wasn't very thick, I put it in the fridge whilst I was baking the potato and lighting charcoal, drinking Shiner Bock, etc..

before steak.jpg

Here's "the tater". I decided to bake/roast it on the genesis so I wouldn't get the kitchen hot by turning on the oven. I actually scorched the bottom of that poor little tater before I turned off the middle burner and moved it up to the top rack. I scrapped off the scorched part and everything turned out pretty good.

tater.jpg

Here's the ribeye on the WSK... slightly modified vortex under the cast iron cross-hatch insert. Not a 100% necessary mod, but I like my vortex and have a buddy that does sheet metal... I gave it about 90 seconds a side, and got to about 100F internal, then flipped every 15 sec or so until I hit about 130F on the trusty Thermapen

steak on grill.jpg

Here we are, all plated up and looking nice. Ribeye, tater (chopped up w/a little cream cheese), and green bean tomato and tabouleh salad. Green beans were a little too crunchy but it was overall pretty good.

plate.jpg

And... here you go, after I carved off a bite or two. Steak was a pretty good medium rare. The cap/spinalis as you might expect was the best part - very tender & juicy. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the Cattleman's Smokey Chipotle... It's alright, but the first ingredient is raw cane sugar, 2nd is kosher salt, and 3rd is coffee, 4th is chipotle... The result isn't bad, but it has some bitter notes when using on a high heat cook, probably from the burnt sugar and coffee. But, it's good to try new things, and I sure had fun being a rebel tonight and grilling up a steak dinner. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

after a bite.jpg

I love my dear wifey, but when she's not around I break all the rules. Normally, when she's here, it's strip or filet, garlic bread instead of baked potato and brocoli or some sort of lettuce salad. Well friends, not tonight! I'm went crazy, got a ribeye, a russet, and some green beans, and had myself a time.

Here's the ribeye before - sprinkled with a generous dose of Cattleman's Smokey Chipotle... Ribeye wasn't very thick, but figured with that nice section of "cap" or spinalis on it it would be good eatin'. Since it wasn't very thick, I put it in the fridge whilst I was baking the potato and lighting charcoal, drinking Shiner Bock, etc..

View attachment 58203

Here's "the tater". I decided to bake/roast it on the genesis so I wouldn't get the kitchen hot by turning on the oven. I actually scorched the bottom of that poor little tater before I turned off the middle burner and moved it up to the top rack. I scrapped off the scorched part and everything turned out pretty good.

View attachment 58204

Here's the ribeye on the WSK... slightly modified vortex under the cast iron cross-hatch insert. Not a 100% necessary mod, but I like my vortex and have a buddy that does sheet metal... I gave it about 90 seconds a side, and got to about 100F internal, then flipped every 15 sec or so until I hit about 130F on the trusty Thermapen

View attachment 58205

Here we are, all plated up and looking nice. Ribeye, tater (chopped up w/a little cream cheese), and green bean tomato and tabouleh salad. Green beans were a little too crunchy but it was overall pretty good.

View attachment 58207

And... here you go, after I carved off a bite or two. Steak was a pretty good medium rare. The cap/spinalis as you might expect was the best part - very tender & juicy. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the Cattleman's Smokey Chipotle... It's alright, but the first ingredient is raw cane sugar, 2nd is kosher salt, and 3rd is coffee, 4th is chipotle... The result isn't bad, but it has some bitter notes when using on a high heat cook, probably from the burnt sugar and coffee. But, it's good to try new things, and I sure had fun being a rebel tonight and grilling up a steak dinner. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

View attachment 58206

I like your choices (or primes). I do my steaks very similarly.
20210506_195923.jpg

Back