iGrill 2 Probe Project/Mini Review

For well over a decade I've smoked without using a probe thermometer. Things always worked out, but it was usually difficult to predict when meat would be done. I thought getting a probe thermometer might help, so I cut a slot in the WSM rim as described in TVWB "modifications" article. This took less than two minutes, was very easy to do and allows cables to be routed perfectly. The next problem was where to put a thermometer display/transmitter? Interestingly, the products I looked at did not provide much guidance about this. Most of them are are magnetic, but I didn't think it would be a good idea to stick one on the side of a hot smoker. I found that Weber sells a mounting kit (part number 3254) for their Weber Connect Smart Grilling Hub. I was not interested in the Smart Grilling Hub itself, but I did buy this mounting kit along with an iGrill 2.

The bracket was easy to install and seems well made. Since these are intended for the Weber Connect Smart Grilling Hub the iGrill 2 does not fit perfectly, but it works better than nothing. I paid about $40 for the bracket at a local hardware store which seems a little much. As with most things, you can find them online for a little less.

I've been a devoted Weber fan for over 25 years, but my iGrill 2 purchase was a leap of faith. Neither the product packaging nor the information I found online was very detailed in terms of what the unit would or wouldn't do. The unit comes with two meat probes, but no ambient temperature probe. I called Weber to ask if a meat probe could be used as an ambient temperature probe and they said no. So if you want to monitor the grill temps, you need to buy a third probe. (The unit will support up to 4 probes at once.) In theory, Bluetooth connectivity allows you to monitor temps on your smartphone. I installed the software on an Android phone, which requires location services to be turned on. Weber claims this is a Google/Bluetooth requirement. Perhaps. But why does anyone need to track where I am barbecuing? I don't like that. Bluetooth pairing was problem-free, but to read temps on your phone you need to be within just few feet of the unit. At this range you can literally just read the unit's LED display, so I'm not sure what the benefit is. I did validate the temp readings with two other thermometers. All readings were within 1 degree F.

Conclusion:

The cable slot is definitely the way to go. No smoke loss, by the way. The mounting bracket is better than nothing, but I wish Weber had not made it a proprietary shape. The iGrill 2 works, but it seems WAY over-priced for what it does. The ability to support 4 probes is great. Smart phone integration would be great if it worked better. To be fair, this is probably just the nature of Bluetooth, so don't blame the iGrill 2. In practice all you really get is a thermometer you can read without taking the lid off your WSM cooker and you can get one of those elsewhere for 1/3 the money. I probably would not buy it again.

Attachments

• 20210702_113209.jpg
    20210702_113209.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210702_113215.jpg
    20210702_113215.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210702_113224.jpg
    20210702_113224.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210702_113234.jpg
    20210702_113234.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 18
They should've just made the mounting plate a flat plate, allowing any magnetic thermometer to mount. I use the Maverick XR50 myself, and made my own mounting bracket that attaches to the Cajun Bandit BBQ Hanger. As far as the IGrill, I have a couple of mini's and although I love the app and the ability to graph, I'm with you on the location requirement, and the limited Bluetooth range. My XR50s transmit further than Bluetooth through my house, and no one is tracking me.

Charlie

I went down the iGrill2 rabbit hole a few months back. Added the two extra probes (one internal and one ambient) and in short order got frustrated with the lack of range on the BT connection. Additionally, since I do a fair amount of rotis cooking, for which the wired probes are no bueno, it didn't take long for buyers remorse to set in.

To satisfy the rotis issue, I needed wireless, and purchased a Meater Plus which can use Meater Link to connect to your home wifi if the base is in range. I loved the app, and the overall flexibility of the wireless probes but still had distance challenges. Even though Meater Link connects to your wifi, you need another BT enabled device connected if you want any real range.

Sold both the iGrill 2 and the Meater Plus and bought a four probe Meater Block and have yet to find a downside (other than price). The app tracks all four wireless probes and each will give you internal and ambient. Position your food across your grill and you can get a good idea of hot/cold zones. Meater Link connects to Meater Cloud and makes your cook stats available anyplace you have an internet connection. Pretty slick stuff.

Yah, I love the wireless aspect for Roto cooking. Can you post a link to your new toy?

I went down the iGrill2 rabbit hole a few months back. Added the two extra probes (one internal and one ambient) and in short order got frustrated with the lack of range on the BT connection. Additionally, since I do a fair amount of rotis cooking, for which the wired probes are no bueno, it didn't take long for buyers remorse to set in.

To satisfy the rotis issue, I needed wireless, and purchased a Meater Plus which can use Meater Link to connect to your home wifi if the base is in range. I loved the app, and the overall flexibility of the wireless probes but still had distance challenges. Even though Meater Link connects to your wifi, you need another BT enabled device connected if you want any real range.

Sold both the iGrill 2 and the Meater Plus and bought a four probe Meater Block and have yet to find a downside (other than price). The app tracks all four wireless probes and each will give you internal and ambient. Position your food across your grill and you can get a good idea of hot/cold zones. Meater Link connects to Meater Cloud and makes your cook stats available anyplace you have an internet connection. Pretty slick stuff.
Do you still like the Meater Block? How long have you had it? Im tired of the Igrill. Had it for years. Do you have complaints about the battery and charging? How long would you estimate the battery last? Thanks for any info you can provide. Paul

Do you still like the Meater Block? How long have you had it? Im tired of the Igrill. Had it for years. Do you have complaints about the battery and charging? How long would you estimate the battery last? Thanks for any info you can provide. Paul

Still have it and still very much like it. I just bought a Meater+ for my nephew who is getting into grilling & bbq. Their customer support is amazing. Super easy to set up just about any cook whether your using the standard cook routine right from their app or you're customizing it for something like a reverse sear. The Alerts are very useful and though I wish I could save a custom cook template it is easy enough to create a few alerts when setting up the cooks.

Checking your cook status over wifi is pretty cool. I set the block next to my grill station and can go anywhere without loosing the stats. It stays connected through the double layer hoods on both my Summit Charcoal and my Lynx gasser. I can switch between my phone (if I need to be mobile) or my ipad or Chrome book if I want a larger display.

Rotis is super easy as well.

I've often skewered a lemon with one of the probes and left on the cooking grate just to monitor deck temperature independent of the cook.

Setup is a piece of cake as well.

Back