Igniter options for Spirit 310 with Side burner.

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
Hello,
I picked up a Weber 310 with side burner that I don't want to invest a lot of money in. The only problem so far is the igniter(does not work) and remote button (missing). The original replacement is about $50 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LX9GM3G/?tag=tvwb-20

It is way less expensive to get a replacement that is either non-remote button or one from a non-side-burner. Has anyone either replaced the stock with a non-remote button (does it fit under the front controls) or can I splice the side burner wires into the firebox leads?

Thanks
Joe

If the grill has the crossover ignition system with the crossover tube, then you should be able to replace the electronic ignition with a piezo igniter button for under $10.

I suspect that the igniter module for one without a side burner doesn't have the multiple outlets like the one you posted. That is really pricey, but it is a complete replacement of all the components.

Front knobs. Look like this but the left shelf has a side burner. I just tried an after market 2 lead AAA igniter that I just replaced on a Nextgrill and it worked one igniter at a time. I would just have to make the hole larger and get a 4 lead that fit but it is very tight in there, the 2 lead just fit. Maybe splice wires?

Attachments

• weber-spirit-300-parts-2013.jpg
    weber-spirit-300-parts-2013.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 4
If the grill has the crossover ignition system with the crossover tube, then you should be able to replace the electronic ignition with a piezo igniter button for under $10.

Yep, when they went to front controls, out went the simplicity of the crossover burner and single piezo igniter, and in came multiple igniters (one per burner) and an electric starter that is doomed to fail way too quickly.:(

Luckily this grill does have a crossover tube and single burner electronic ignition + another hookup for the side burner. The piezo is good idea but I would have to tinker with the cable ends and I kind of like the electronic igniters. I think I figured out what to do. I will buy 2 2-pole electronic AAA ignitions for $8 each and mount one on the front of the side burner, and make the original hole a little larger and mount the other where the remote switch was. Many grills have 2 separate igniters. It will simplify the set up and reduce a very costly single point of failure. I will report back in a few days with a picture and hopefully a working grill.

Ok - Finished the igniters. You can see in the picture the step bit in the drill I used and the original spark controller on top of the knob for display purposes, as well as the new igniter in the front of the side burner shelf. Everything works great. I really like having 2 separate igniters instead of 1 and this only cost a total of $16 instead of $50. Before pic is now added.

Attachments

• 20201006_125940 (Large).jpg
    20201006_125940 (Large).jpg
    107 KB · Views: 14
  • before (Large).jpg
    before (Large).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 14

Back