If you refill your propane tanks at Tractor Supply..

The guy had filled it completely full instead of the 15# max allowed in a 20# tank.
Wait, what?
I get my 20 lb tanks filled at the propane dealer so that I get the full tank (19+ lbs). If I wanted just the 15 lb, I'd do the trade in thing:

Wait, what?
I get my 20 lb tanks filled at the propane dealer so that I get the full tank (19+ lbs). If I wanted just the 15 lb, I'd do the trade in thing:
Thanks for the info in the link.

Something to keep in mind with TSC is that they may not have the best price in town when it comes to propane.
Case in point. The Chevron here in the middle of town (it's closer to my house than TSC) charges $3/gallon for propane, while the TSC charges $3.35/gallon.
You can probably guess which place I do my refills at...

Fwiw, when I was a propane driver, everything was filled to 80%. Cylinder, home tanks, the filling station at hardware stores. 80% was considered max fill.

I've been paying the $20 exchange rate at HD. A buck a pound seems high but it is convenient and close by.
You are paying more then that. Those exchange tanks only contain 15 pounds. You are paying $1.33 a pound. Most people do not know that. Much cheaper to have them refilled.

I did this today. Used the app to request a refill and a few minutes later a lady came out and filled me up. Even took payment outside which was nice. Cost to refill the smaller tank was less than half of what an exchange costs. I'll be using it again for sure.

Fwiw, when I was a propane driver, everything was filled to 80%. Cylinder, home tanks, the filling station at hardware stores. 80% was considered max fill.
So if 80% is considered maximum fill, I think that means 80% fill in a 20lb tank is 20lbs. Just like a gas can is say a 5gal can. You could put more in it but it’s rated at 5gal and when you “fill” it, you should have 5gal but not a full to the brim can of gas.

So if 80% is considered maximum fill, I think that means 80% fill in a 20lb tank is 20lbs. Just like a gas can is say a 5gal can. You could put more in it but it’s rated at 5gal and when you “fill” it, you should have 5gal but not a full to the brim can of gas.
It meant leave 5 gallons worth of space. You’re getting 15 lbs in a 20 lb tank, as others here have mentioned. My trainer even told me about the Blue Rhino thing you referenced. A cylinder driver once told me they weren’t filled completely, talking about cylinders, because people threw them in trunks and would ride around with them in harsh conditions and such, but my trainer at the gas company wasn’t hearing it. He explicitly told me to take my tanks to filling stations where SOME would actually give you 20 lbs.

Last edited:
Not sure about the US but here in Canada 20 lbs is 80% of the tank filled. I was told this at the fill station and that is what I get when I add the 20 lbs to the tare weight stamped on the tank when I weigh it when I get home. The receipt also states the price per lb and the amount pumped. The tank exchange stations have anywhere from 15 to 17 lbs in them though, so they are ripping us off.

I believe it. Thank you. You make up for the cruddy one the local station sold me. My close-by emergency gas station sells some .. well that is where the old ones seem to end up

Back