If you need fiber washers for your wsm

FYI, any hardware store also sells fiber washers that can be used and likely cheaper than the weber ones. They are commonly used in faucet connections in various sizes.

Also I added them between the legs and bottom bowl. Weber doesn't but I did.
Weber does include fiber washers that go on the outside of the charcoal bowl where the legs attach. Maybe someone forgot to install them on your WSM when it was new?

Untitled-1.jpg

I got rid of the slotted 5/8 screws and added 1/2 flanged button head 18-8 screws. Much better then oem

Why better? My WSM is 24 years old and I've never felt the need to remove the screws and replace them. I mean, more power to you if you replaced them for aesthetics, but I can't think of a functional reason to use a different screw, even if you have to remove them to replace a leaky fiber washer (and mine have never leaked). Maybe I'm missing something here?

Last edited:
They may be included for the legs now, but weren't before 2014. Also, the bottom cooking grate was different pre 2014, they had no handles prior. The bolts are also 1/2 vs 5/8 now.

Screenshot_20210623-173720_Chrome.jpg

Why are the button head screws better? Try them, and it will speak for itself. You won't slip off a button like you do on the oem, and much better in tight spaces like the legs. With what I used I tightened everything from one side. The outside. What weber provides will work, what I did was an upgrade. I didn't like the corrosion on the oem bolt heads either. Also, some upgrades come with phillips head. I have changed them all to the same type fastener.

I also went with steel tooth washer lock nuts, and smaller 1/2 od washers. Not sure if you have to move your smoker, but I do and they loosen over time with moving, and heat. I can guarantee if you have casters they'll loosen. I'll see if it works long term. So far money well spent.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing my own photo with me! I forgot that there were fewer fiber washers prior to the 2014 revisions. I'm not persuaded about the fasteners, but I'm glad you're happy with the change on your cooker.

Back