If you could only have one sauce....

Billm: Ten Pin Lounge? No kidding? Isn't that John that runs it now for Mom? I used to go in there quite a bit. Not so much anymore. It's a fun place for sure. So am I invited to the cook off?

Chileheads ... good store, nice folks. I'll be talking to Vickie and Pat real soon. I'll drop a good word in for ya if you'd like.

The Landing in Godfrey. Hmmmmmm .... now ya got me. Can't place that or thier fundraiser. I've got sauce at the "Grafton" Landing. Could that be it?

We definately need to hook up when you come to town. The Ten Pin sounds good to me!
icon_smile.gif

Rick

I just tried "OrganicVille" Organic BBQ Sauce, sweetened with Agave Nectar. Got it at Costco. It has mild sweetness, and a nice little kick of spice.

I've never liked any other commercial sauces because they are all too sweet for me. This was really nice.

Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Wildrick:
I just tried "OrganicVille" Organic BBQ Sauce, sweetened with Agave Nectar. Got it at Costco. It has mild sweetness, and a nice little kick of spice.
I'm glad you said that because I just had some and with the addition of a little El Yucateco habanero sauce, it was appropriately "melt-your-face-off" hot, which is how I like it.But I couldn't remember where I got it. Now I do.
icon_biggrin.gif

I'll be buying a couple bottles as some friends are coming in from LA for my band's CD release party and I'm doing a cook - spares, hot links and chicken.

Lookin forward to that cook.

i finally picked up a bottle of Head Country original today from a local place called "the Sauce Shoppe". he just started carrying all 3 sauces and the gaint bottle of rub. i didn't get the rub since it was 16.99 and i was already getting the sauce,some pecan wood and some anchorbar wing sauce. i'm going to sam's in the morning. hopefully they have some spares out so i can try it out sunday. i did the finger taste and it tasted pretty darn good right out of the bottle.

Currently undertaking a taste test of almost every BBQ sauce you can buy that has won an award (plus some others and some local Aussie BBQ sauces) - testing straight out of the bottle, cooked straight, on ribs, on pulled pork, on chicken and on brisket. It's been going for a while and still has a while left, but I will _definitely_ be doing a BIG write up :).

As for head country, they have both a regular and a Hickory Smoke flavour. Here is my take on both of them:

Head country regular:
* Quite thin consistency, no cloying HFCS-like texture.

* Out of the bottle raw: Sweet, very mild flavour, no dominant/overpowering flavours. Not the best out of the bottle sauce in terms of big bang flavour.

* Out of the bottle cooked: Quite thin, loses a bit of acidity and sweetness comes out more, very subtle yet nice flavour - best described as a lightly smokey tomato barbecue sauce.

* With head country rubbed brisket: Tried it straight out of the bottle and heated up - definitely better heated up. This was a KILLER combo. Althought the sauce is thinner than a lot of the really thick barbecue sauces, this still clings well to the meat.

Head Country Hickory:
* Good consistency - clings to meat well, not too thick or thin.

* Out of the borrle, raw: Very strong flavour, very smokey, very sweet with a slight heat on the back of the mouth: great flavour!

* Out of the bottle cooked: Not as smokey, sweetness is even further accentuated, very nice flavour

* Heated and served with brisket: Great with brisket, the smoke flavour really goes well with the slightly smokey brisket. It stands up well to the brisket without overpowering the beef flavour.

hey Ill take second best (for now)
See you guys at Westmont!

Bill, will you be selling your sauce in Westmont?

Bob

i will now officially say head country original is my favorite sauce as it comes from the bottle. i didn't really care for blues hog(just ok) but head country has it beat by a mile.

Originally posted by Robert T.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
hey Ill take second best (for now)
See you guys at Westmont!

Bill, will you be selling your sauce in Westmont?

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob - If I decide to cook Westmont then yes although thats looking doubtful at the moment..whereabouts in the west suburbs are you though? Its in about 10 stores throughout the area..you wont have to wait until Westmont.

Everyone here is wrong. This outta start a fight! First is Sa-Mokins and second would be Smiling Ed's Cajun Hickory. Both are fantastic to say the least. I did a blind taste test with both and it was close but Sa-Mokin won. Any day I would pick either one. Check them out online. Only problem now is I make my own it's easy. I do a cranberry bbq sauce with a cayenne kick. Been very,very good to me in comps.

ok you are south suburbs then..hmm..closest to you will be Caseys in Naperville or Wheaton Meat in Wheaton neither of which are really close
icon_smile.gif

if you go to the website..www.headsredbbq.com there is a list of stores plus two online retailers...
will also be at the downers grove farmers market by the train station but not until June

Back