If its too good to be true it probably is

RobNM

TVWBB Member
This is my first post on here, sorry its kind of long, but wanted people to be aware of this. I did something that I should have known better and that is order a WSM from a site that I never heard from. I have been wanting a WSM 18.5 for a while, and know the MSRP. price on them, I also know these do go on sales, or companies have them on closeout or off season pricing, etc... On 6/26/20 I decided I was going to pull the trigger and order a 18.5. I did my usual looking at the local hardware stores, and online retailers that I'm aware of, even on Weber Direct. I guess this the next Toilet Paper, Hand Sanitizer, Hair Clippers in that no-one had these in stock or there were huge wait times. I got onto google and typed in Weber Smokey Mountain and on their suggested sellers this came up. Now it was not so low that I thought yeah right, but it was also enough to catch my eye. I hit the link and it had an HTTPS:// ( which means its " should be " secured or trusted site ) A WSM 18.5 for $199.99. I jumped on it.... got a conformation and was set. I was so Happy I decided to tell my brother who already has one and that is looking for another about the deal I got. Sent him the link. He said its a .. I clicked on the link on google and sure it had the WSM on it, i decided to go to the home page. sure enough its a freaking pet store. I reached out to the vendor about this he got back ASAP and said they sell a lot of other things no need to worry your order is placed and getting ready for shipment. I should have just canceled right there or called my bank. A few days later I get a tracking number and an ETA. I watch it and watch it, I live in Albuquerque, NM just for reference. 7/2/20 It gets here to the ABQ USPS office and ready for Delivery. 7/3/20 I get up that morning super excited, I went to the store the day before got my chimney, wood, charcoal, a charcoal grate to latch and some ribs ready to break this bad boy in. 7/3/20 out for delivery today.............. In Truth or Consequences, NM which is a small town a few hours south of Albuquerque. WTFUDGE!!!! I'm like the post office is delivering my product somewhere it shouldn't. I'm scrambling, the day before the 4th of July I hope they are open or I get someone. I got a hold of someone in ABQ who gave me the direct number to the T or C post office. I call and get the Post Master, ( Super Nice Lady ) She said that its already out for delivery but called the carrier to bring it back. I told her what it was and my info and she said "unless this is a smoker for a Barbie its not your order". "Its weighs 15oz "she says. I asked if my name and info was on the package, it wasn't but.. it had the tracking number. She even emailed me a copy of the order. I reach out to this vendor who was so quick in the beginning to get back to me wont return my messages. I have called the bank, Filed a claim with the FTC and continue to reach out to this guy. I should be getting my money back soon and will be purchasing from either my local shops or a few trusted ones that we all know. The moral of this something we have been taught as kids and even as adults we still need to remember this and that is if it looks to good to be true, it probably is. Now if your regular stores has it at this price or lower, Jump on it. Only use a trusted source.
The ribs didn't go to waste I have a WEBER GENESIS S-330NG that I will use a smoker box and indirect heat and those ribs were fantastic. I cant wait to chat with everyone on here about their experiences with the WSM.
Have a great day.

Attachments

• Screenshot WSM.png
    Screenshot WSM.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 36
With as strict as these big tech companies are with other "issues", they sure don't have consumer protection in mind. Google is about as awful as they come on so many levels.

Sounds like you'll get your money back!

Keep watch on Craigslist or Facebook ads for some deals. I bought a 22" WSM last year brand new in the box for $200 off craigslist. I had no intention of purchasing the largest one, but I couldn't pass up the deal. Used ones pop up from people that try it and realize they don't have the patience or time for it.

they sure don't have consumer protection in mind

That's sort of true. It's really pretty easy to set up a spoof site to fake this stuff, by the time the real company finds out about it, people have already been suckered in. It's akin to buying that great set of speakers out of the white van at the gas station (selling because we're overstocked.) There's no real enforcement methods except after the fact, you do have to be personally vigilant about this crap. There will ALWAYS be fraud.

I would be willing to bet that for just about every product out there, there's frauds selling counterfeits or just plain theft, online.

Agreed, but some of them pop up in "sponsored", which can easily make you believe it's legit. Especially when Google's sponsored info says: Products and offers that match your query. Google is compensated by these merchants. Payment is one of several factors used to rank these results. By default, ranking on Google Shopping is based on a combination of advertiser bids and relevance, such as your current search terms and your activity.

I've become disillusioned to buying expensive stuff from random vendors on the net, wondering whether I'll have problems, and their customer service. If it's a dedicated store with a web site, or it's something simple, that's OK. But I worry about unknown stores that show in Google search results (or advertise on Amazon, either.)

I appreciate everyone's response on this. It's Very frustrating as a consumer and especially now where money is watched alot more closely. I don't care if it's $200 or $2000.00 we work hard for our money to have it stolen without any ramifications on the people stealing it.
I will keep an eye out locally and on Craigslist maybe I might get lucky like Chris P.
The van and the speaker scam I remember when people were doing that. I have a story about that but not on here. :)
Is there any way and I doubt this Google can get in trouble for this?
I tell you what when I finally get one I will post pics and cooks. I think either baby back or a pork but. I will save the brisket for when I get the hang of it.

Back