If I must use enhanced ribs...

Peter Near

Having trouble finding decent ribs for a BBQ tomorrow. One rack is definitely not seasoned, the other two may be. I would guess that they are, as local grocery store chains in the Toronto area use mostly enhanced pork.

Is there anything I can do to compensate in case those two racks are salted? Eliminate/reduce salt in the rub? I'm going to try Emeril's Essence as a rub this time, which includes:
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Thanks,
Pete

If they're enhanced skip the salt. After cooking, should you discover you'd like more, simply pass the salt separately. It is not possible to reduce the salt after cooking should it be too much.

To check if enhanced prior to cooking (and the package label is missing or vague): Trim off a small piece of meat from the flap or, if trimmed already, from the small end of the rack. Fry in plain neutral oil till just cooked, cool slightly then taste it. If enhanced the salt will be unmistakable.

Look at the nutritional label on the enhanced ribs. The Enhanced ribs from King Soopers grocery store had 2g of sugar in a serving size (about 2 ribs). I think they are basically injected or soaked in a sugar/salt brining solution with some chemicals as well.

I used my standard rub/sauce and didn't taste a whole lot of difference but they did tast a bit saltier.

Thanks for the replies. I fried up some bits and it was difficult for me to tell, but my wife was pretty sure that the grocery-store ribs tasted salty.

So, we eliminated the salt altogether on those two racks.

Let's hope they turn out!

Pete

Back