If I Don't Want To Brine...?

ChristopherC

TVWBB Super Fan
If I don't want to brine, what is the best / recommended method to add some flavor to my gobbler this Thursday?

I have a 10-11lb Young Turkey. Will be doing stuffing separately.

My guess at best approach would be to make a mix of spices and butter and apply all over the bird as well as inside and under the skin....

Thanks in advance for the ideas!

My guess at best approach would be to make a mix of spices and butter and apply all over the bird as well as inside and under the skin....
I've done that before and it works fine, but are you looking to reduce/eliminate salt or do you just not have a good setup for a wet brine? When I use the butter method I lay down a layer of salt (a dry brine and on the meat, not the skin) first and then put the compound butter on top of it.

Quick and simple aren't allowed on Thanksgiving.;)

So how come a Canadian is having turkey on US Thanksgiving?;)

For one of my turkeys this year, I'm skipping the brine and doing a mayo slather instead of butter or olive oil. Mix whatever herbs you like into the mayo. Thomas Keller can't be wrong:

Dilemma 1: I got no time to brine, but I want a tasty turkey. Can you help me out?​

Absolutely. Our favorite turkey trick was inspired by legendary chef Thomas Keller. When he was growing up, his mom made mayo-roasted turkey breast. s with a full-size bird. The mayonnaise, mixed with citrus zest and herbs, melts during roasting, slowly basting the turkey. The white meat stays super moist, and the skin browns beautifully.

I'm doing two just in case one doesn't turn out. The first I'm rubbing under and on the skin with a shallot/butter mixture along with some salt and pepper. That will be smoked on Wednesday. The second I'm butterflying and seasoning with salt, pepper, and the traditional parsley, sage...you know the thing. That will be smoked on Thursday. At least one should be good. Both should be pretty simple.

Back