Identifying wood

Curt

TVWBB Fan
I can identify wood from trees with leaves, easy to do.
However, I get a couple cords of split hardwood firewood every year and I'm sure some of it could be used for smoking if I break it down.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to identify split wood that only occasionally has any bark on it?

Curt,

Without the bark, it can be tough. Where did you get the wood? Was it from a vendor? Ask that person, but don't rely 100% on him if you have your doubts. If you really want to know what kind of wood you've got; take a piece to an expert. Someone who works with wood, not a framer, but a craftsman. The wood you want to avoid are the soft woods such as pine, cypress, fir, spruce and cedar. The resins and pitch from those woods will leave very unpleasant flavors on your meat.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
Curt,

Without the bark, it can be tough. If you really want to know what kind of wood you've got; take a piece to an expert. Someone who works with wood, not a framer, but a craftsman. The wood you want to avoid are the soft woods such as pine, cypress, fir, spruce and cedar. The resins and pitch from those woods will leave very unpleasant flavors on your meat.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Paul, that makes sense. The firewood is all hardwood, which I can confirm as I use it in the fireplace. Now to figure what's what. Think maybe someone who owns a tree service might have a clue?

That would be a good start. I have several friends that turn wood for bowls, etc. and are very knowledgeable about wood types. For the craftsman, grain and hardness is important; that's why I suggested that route.

If the wood is not too old, you can smell the resin in the evergreens. In doubt, try to set fire to a couple of logs. There will be no doubt, but maybe I am bit more used to this, as I go through 12 m3 each winter in my five wooden stoves.
icon_smile.gif

If you cut a sliver off with a chop saw, you can generally smell the wonderful aroma of oak. I think they should bottle that aroma in a cologne for men.

Many woods can be identified from the grain, at least generically. It's best if you have a smooth section that shows the grain well. Post a photo if you can. If you can show some of the bark as well, so much the better.

Back