Idea's to modify the 26er

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noe

TVWBB Wizard
I am trying to figure out how to mount my 26er on a table like the performer, i have some idea's but welcome anyone's idea.

Interesting that you post this, because I have been pondering this myself, especially since I have bent leg supports on my new kettle. Side note, NEVER attempt to drag a hot, lit-charcoal containing kettle on its wheels. The Legs and leg mount flanges will bend, and you end up with R2D2 kettle (uneven cooking surface)

I have thought about making one of these tables, even sketching a few ideas, but I have not put saw to wood yet. I'd love to think this through here with other guys to generate more ideas.

One idea is to make a table with a "bottom deck" and an "upper deck" and set the grill on the lower deck so that stick up to the higher deck. The kettle could either sit on shortened legs, or maybe the lower deck could be made low enough that the kettle just sits on the lower deck on its two wheels & 1 front leg.

Here is what I mean, but using another style grill: table http://bubbakeg.com/bboard/index.php?topic=3692.0
A problem is that you have to allow for clearance around the kettle so that no adjacent wood is close enough to catch fire.
The grill in the pic is Big Steel Keg, which has the advantage of being insulated. Even running at 700 degrees, you can hold your hand on it. I wouldn't do that with a kettle.

Another idea is to hang the kettle off of the top deck. I found sheets of fire resistant tile backer board at Menards. I could cut a 26inch circular hole in a 30inch square piece, so that the grill hangs in the hole from the lip that makes the rim of the bottom of the kettle. Then I'd make a 30 inch square hole in a table top that the square tile backer board could set in or on. This way, the tile backer board acts as a firewall of sorts, keeping the hot kettle from touching wood. You would have to make relief cuts in the tile backer to allow for the kettle handle and the lid bail.

I would NOT NOT NOT make a plan where the kettle weight rests on the ash bucket which rests on wood.

But MAYBE would consider a plan where the kettle weight rests on the ash bucket which rests on a large stone or paver which rests on wood.

I also have a small bottle, propane weed burner that I could incorporate somehow.

Noe.
You could build a side table that hangs on your handles, than add a third wheel on the forward leg. And you can also use a push button propane gizmo set into the holes @ your bottom ring to light your chimney.
That's how I rigged my 22.5 OTG.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

Noe,

I too have been thinking/ wanting to do this for a long time. Here's what I will/ would do. Build a frame out of square tubing for the table and attach the grill just like the factory performer with angle iron and stainless fasteners. Of course this will take some metal fab tools like a torch, welder, etc.... I will probably use stainless for a top as well which will be rather large as in 3 ft or more of working space, left to right.

i put together a couple of these when i was at weber.

you have to be creative and handy (on know someone who is...)

make 2 brackets, one for each side of the grill, like the ones mounted on the 22.5 performer. drill holes into the bowl like on the 22.5 -and you already have the lid cradle.

either take apart a 22.5 performer or make side tubes and a table. make a longer axle and a rack for the bottom. If you're good make the large hole and the 2 smaller holes for the ignitor...

tile backer with a nice tile top would be very cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back