I'd like to build some cover for my grill area and

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
Starting to collect ideas for overhead cover. I saw this and I like the idea, but I need wider, and I don't' want anything in the front.

I'd like to do a single span and 14 to 16 feet wide will hold the BGE, WSK, E330 and a prep table.

There's no real load on the slanted roof but it will get some wind.

1720766121177.png

1720766619369.png

The Genesis 1000 ( pretending to be a Silver ) is not part of this.

Thoughts? ideas? other places to look for inspiration ?

When I moved into my house about 19 years ago there were two young maple trees next to and behind my patio where I keep my grill. I needed to keep an umbrella on my table to keep the blazing sun off of me while I was cooking. Now all these years later the trees have grown to the point where they completely shade my patio and grilling area from the sun and mostly from the rain as well. It's really nice but it obviously took years for it to get to that point. Since that isn't going to work for you, an enclosure of some kind seems a good choice.

Starting to collect ideas for overhead cover. I saw this and I like the idea, but I need wider, and I don't' want anything in the front.

I'd like to do a single span and 14 to 16 feet wide will hold the BGE, WSK, E330 and a prep table.

There's no real load on the slanted roof but it will get some wind.

View attachment 95692

View attachment 95693

The Genesis 1000 ( pretending to be a Silver ) is not part of this.

Thoughts? ideas? other places to look for inspiration ?
This one looks like a pretty good deal. Do you have any other criteria to share. Are you open to suggestion or know exactly the type you're looking for?

Trying to find options in the 14 to 16 ft length it's hard to find a depth less than 11 ft. I'm not sure that's even what you're looking for but I assume you don't need it to be as deep as it is wide.
Screenshot_20240712_020025_Wayfair.jpg

I have bought a lot of stuff from Wayfair and their customer service is really good.

Last edited:
Sam's Club has a "hut" type thing looks just like that first photo but a bit larger. Honestly if we weren't facing so many other repair things at the house, it would be getting strong consideration from me.

You could also DIY or make a plan and hire a contractor.
Thanks ! some good ideas there.

I am looking to DIY.

Something like this, but maybe with a metal roof. I'll need a rain gutter along the back so it doesn't soak the neighbor's yard.

I can anchor the rear posts in concrete the front post would be set on top of the patio. Wind is an issue so I'll need to factor that in.

1720827394473.png

Trying to find options in the 14 to 16 ft length it's hard to find a depth less than 11 ft. I'm not sure that's even what you're looking for but I assume you don't need it to be as deep as it is wide.

Yeah, I only have 10 feet from the house to the fence in this part of the yard.

I also would like to avoid pillars coming down more than 2 or 2 1/2 feet. ( edit ) from the back fence.

The shelter is more to keep leaves and bird droppings from hitting the grill, but some shade would be great, and a little protection from rain wouldn't hurt either.

Yeah, I only have 10 feet from the house to the fence in this part of the yard.

I also would like to avoid pillars coming down more than 2 or 2 1/2 feet.

It is more to keep leaves and bird droppings from hitting the grill, but some shade would be great, and a little protection from rain wouldn't hurt.
That sounds like a great plan Dan. I like that design. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Maybe it will give me some new ideas! I'll look into some more options now that I have more information.

Thanks ! some good ideas there.

I am looking to DIY.

Something like this, but maybe with a metal roof. I'll need a rain gutter along the back so it doesn't soak the neighbor's yard.

I can anchor the rear posts in concrete the front post would be set on top of the patio. Wind is an issue so I'll need to factor that in.

View attachment 95783

I need this all along my back fence so I dont have to see my neighbors

Could you do two rear posts and make a “Y” type “fore leg” so you only have two holes and no foot in front? Corrugated steel roof? Rain gutter on the back draining into a flowerbed?

Yea, check your easements or set backs for utility lines either overhead or buried.
We have 6' along our back fence, but I've seen neighbors go almost tight with sheds.
Depends if you get a permit or not.

Back