Iberico secreto pork

I take into consideration on where I live globally as to where the product comes from.
The butcher also has to make their money as well.......so in all possibilities they may have paid around $20 per pound but I don't know.
That is $20 CAD ..... a US dollar cost me about $1.35 or so usually.....just for point. Sticker price was around $35 per pound.
Not sure what I got......the meat cut and tasted great, but I didn't get a ton of that nutty / buttery taste in it....but the texture was there for sure.
I used charcoal and a tad bit of smoking wood too so maybe that helped it not taste as pure as it should have. I used basic salt and pepper as it was my first go and wanted to " taste " it.
That was my experience.
I have 2 more to try out so we will see.....my cut was from the shoulder area rather than any belly or other cuts.
I forget the 4 main cuts they use but do know I have 1.2 pound roasts from the shoulder area, sorry I forget the proper name they give it.
It looked more picanha or tri tip shaped than the OP's picture.

From what I understand the Secreto is cut from behind the shoulder.
Try just grilling it without any woodsmoke. Just salt 'n' pepper. Hot 'n' fast. I personally wouldn't go above 135IT.
If you have the cut from the shoulder, it might be the Presa cut. Wonderful.
The Pluma, (feather), is cut from the end of the loin towards the neck, and comes in a triangular form. I've had a few of these and they taste the best.

I’ve seen TonyUK’s pluma cook, bloody beautiful! *Gordon Bennet*!
(look it up)
This is a pic of two Presa steaks. Grilled hot 'n' fast to an IT of 135f. Looks like beef. No cook or plated pics. Too busy trying not to screw it up.
IMG_1189.JPG

This is a boneless Iberico Pork Collar (De Raza). I treated this as you would a roast. Direct to get some colour on all sides. Removed about a 1/3 of the briqs from the basket, then moved it to indirect to 135f IT. (Again, no cook or plated pics). It can also be cooked L&S for pulling.
IMG_1153.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah after you mentioned pressa, that is what I had my hands on.......
Found my thread, I did mumble about it a lot as I was very excited to try something out I have never had before.
You can skip the blabbing I did but I had a good amount of pictures in there.
Apparently I was off on my cook temps and price per pound and stuff but it was close to what I said earlier.

Back