I WANT TO OPEN MY OWN BBQ JOINT

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

When looking for a catering type cooker, I would seriously consider a Fast Eddy Cooker made by Cookshack. A traditional cooker? No. But for ease, reliability, and quality of product, an FEC is hard to pass up. I've had mine for about 2 years, and yes, like any other cooker they have their quirks. But once you figure it out, it'll be the most used cooker you'll own. My poor WSMs have been so neglected ever since I bought my FEC 100, I feel guilty just coming to this site.

Don't just take my word for it. Ask the current Jack Daniels Champion Scottie Johnson, or most recently, the Clinton, Iowa Grand Champion Joey Mac what their opinion is on the FEC's.

Good luck in your search!

Rick

You're probably sick of hearing some of these tips, but:

1. Cost control and consistency of product and service are everything. Restaurants can bleed cash in a million different little ways, and since so many people open restaurants because "it's my dream to open a restaurant," they aren't always the most business-savvy. Document everything and monitor your cash flow.

2. Be honest about your customer base. Can you make a living selling 'Q,' and only 'Q,' where you live? Do people really enjoy the BBQ you want to sell? Are there items on the menu for people who don't like BBQ (important if you want a big party of people)?

3. Location matters, and prime locations cost money. I really think there are no bargains when it comes to restaurant locations.

4. Restaurants are HARD WORK. Hard hard hard hard hard work. You'll have huge employee turnover, you'll work hopelessly long hours, you'll be underappreciated and it will be very hard to be successful. Got that? There are many easier ways to make a living, even as a self-employed businessperson.

Now if you're not scared off, you can think about it. But understand that there really are few places in the country that can support a BBQ restaurant.

This is a great thread. I was in the food biz for quite sometime and it looks like many people on this topic hit the nail on the head. "It's a tough tough biz"!!, and not everyone can do it. I have to agree with a lot of the posts which is to start small and test the waters. I have a concept in mind and somewhat of a business plan already written but I went the way of "starting small". I currently just cater out of my house and am staying very busy. I have no overhead, marketing,labor costs,etc., it's strictly word of mouth and the word is getting around. I'm hoping that the natural progression will keep going (bigger smokers, more/better equipment, bigger jobs, etc) so that it will eventually warrant a restaurant. If not I'm not out a ton of money.

Back