I think my refrigerator is going out....

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I noticed the temps in the food section are in the mid 40s, playing around with the knobs... this is a recent development, unless the thermometer just went bad.

The fridge came with the house, & I've been here 9 years. Always something!

I got a Samsung range early this year, maybe I'll get one of their fridges too.

Quick.....everyone grab there cookers and head to clint's place. Honestly sorry man that stuff sucks

LOL! I haven't even checked the freezer!!! There's a ~14# chuck that's been neglected for too long. I'd better check the freezer right now.

MANUALLY DEFROST IT!!

Seriously, even though it's self defrost, if you keep the freezer filled 100%, that prevents air flow, then can't defrost properly, ice builds up and bango, everything starts warming up.

Find another temp freezer, fridge and defrost this. The floor of the freezer is only held on by 2-3 bolt-type screws. The back wall maybe two.

Undo them all, remove the floor and back wall, get your hair dryer and a whole bunch of towels.

I know. I did mine 3 weeks ago. A solid inch of ice on the coils! Be careful,they are razor sharp.

Last edited:
Hope it all works out for you, and it's only a bad thermometer.
If not, I have replaced all my appliances except for dishwasher (which is getting done with year end bonus money) with LG Products, and am more
than happy with them. The models I chose all had favorable ratings as a whole (you can't make everyone happy), and have
outperformed my expectations.
And no, I don't sell LG , I sell boat stuff!;)

Thanks Len - a friend has a side-by-side (his old keggerator) he's been trying to give me - that'd work for a spare.

Clint, if the fan still works, l'd bet $$ that's all it is.

My transition from freezing to melting ice cream occured over 10 days. It may have been longer but I didn't give it the attention it deserved and only noticed it the same way you did.

Last edited:
One last thing: after the ice is gone, pour two cups of hot tap water (slowly) down the drain pipe. If it all goes down, you're good to reassemble.

Empty the drain pan of that water (it'll be hot).

If it didn't drain, that pipe has frozen water in it and you have a bit more defrosting to do. Repeat till it all flows through.

Reassemble and this time, not so full ;)

Might just need to clean the condenser coils under the fridge.

Good catch. Forgot to mention that. But you know, as soon as he takes the cover off to get at the water pan, he'll see all that dust and think "Gee, I should clean that too".

Tks for the reminder.

Yep, clean the coils, then defrost............however, if 9 yrs. old when moved in, that might make it 18 yrs old..........that's why I have an "appliance" item in my budget, seldom used, but needed ever so often, hot water heaters, dishwashers, freezer/fridge, stoves, microwaves, sooner or later they all go bad. Nothing worse than the surprise of the month digging into my "fun" stuff budget............................d

Back