I think I'm converted to No Water!

I have read and watched many videos on youtube with folks and their WSM's and I have mixed feelings about no water. I use water each time I cook but really do want to do it without water. The big question is can you maintain 225-250 with no water.
I think I'm going to stick with 250-275 for ribs and butts. 225 is to low and takes too long imo.

I've done waterless cooks before, but not very many. Lately I've been doing waterless cooks and really like the results. I love that i have a much higher temperature range available to me without the water. Today I did spares at 275° in my 18"wsm and it ran like a champ! No problem holding temp, sucker was rock solid! I sprits with apple juice mixed with a little bit of Jack Daniels every hour. At 4.5hrs it was ready for some sauce, then back on for another 20mins or so. Used pecan for smoke.

Will be doing more waterless cooks in the future.
Thanks for looking, see you next cook!

I'm told you get a better smoke ring when using water; however, I have never put it to the test. I haven't used water in years, but I do use a Guru to control pit temps. Cooking without water makes the fuel last a lot longer, with a full basket in my 22.5, fully stacked gets me over 24 hours without adding more fuel. I foil my pan and use it to collect grease and deflect the heat. I've had some cooks turn out better than others, but I've never had anything that was not delicious. I do get smoke rings, but compared to other smoke rings I've seen on this forum, mine are not near as pronounced.

Count me in on the no water club.

CraigW

Last edited:
I usually make just what I'm going to serve and some leftovers. I've had good luck freezing pulled pork but have never tried freezing ribs. I was just thinking about stashing more stuff in the freezer but I love running the smoker as well so its a double edged sword. LOL.........Do you finish the ribs all the way if you know they are hitting the freezer? I do my BB's generally for about 5 hours and my spares for 6 hours give or take.........Also since you ran the probe test on the grates I'm guessing the lower rack is the hotter one being closer to the coals? Just the opposite as when you are using water?

Ken:

I have a 22.5 and i like to fill it up when I cook, usually 40 plus pound of butts, chuck, brisket, 8 chickets or 8 racks of spareribs. After we feast, all the leftovers get portioned into meals and sealed in a seal a meal. We have not gone out to dinner or ordered take out in the last 4-years. The meat I have in my freezer is better than anything we can purchase. Just warm up some water and warm up the food to eating temperature. Sometimes the food will taste better the second time around. A typical week for my family is brisket, chuck, short ribs, rib roast, spareribs, etc. I do the same when I cook on the kettle. If it is just me and the wife, I'll do 4-steaks and freeze two.

I'm not kidding, the wife and I brown bag lunch everyday. It is my personal protest to the junk food served and high prices offered by the food corporations. When they start gluing meat pieces together and sell it as steak, I am done with them.

CraigW

Well done. IMHO everything just turns out better all the way around with out the pan. Your ribs have an amazing color. Can't get those results with the water pan.

Well done. IMHO everything just turns out better all the way around with out the pan. Your ribs have an amazing color. Can't get those results with the water pan.

I did get those results with the water pan! I just didn't run it with water.

Back