I need a Spoonbread Recipe

Ivan Stratton

TVWBB Fan
I've been asked to make Spoonbread for a company function. Actually my wifes office party. Im also doing Pulled Pork, Collard Greens, Baked Beans and Cole Slaw. I've cooked for these guys before (around 60 people) and they all love my BBQ'ed foods (thanks to you guys) but I dont have a "go to" Spoonbread recipe. I've made Bryan S's Jiffy Corn Caserole and its great but I think it might be a little sweet. I guess I could go with a mix if there is one that is really good. Any help would be appreciated.

Ivan

An actual spoon bread is rather pudding-like. It depends on separated eggs, the whites whipped into soft peaks before being folded into the batter. It also falls soon after it's removed from the oven, like a soufflé, so needs to be promptly served. Hard to do for 60. If that's the way you want to go though I can write you one that includes cheese. That will give it a little more structure.

Thanks for the reply Kevin. I'm trying one tonight that I found on another site. Ill see how it goes. It may be hard for 60 but it can be the last thing out of the oven. I have a large convection oven that I can fit six half pans in.

Southern Spoon Bread

Odd, to me, that it containers a leavening ingredient (not typical) and no corn (not typical). Try it and see what you think. (Do a test run.)

I know this is too late... but in case someone searches...

I used to use the Washington-brand mix, which has been discontinued. But they published their recipe on line when they quit selling the mix:

Washington Spoon Bread Mix
Using Indian Head White Corn Meal

Indian Head White Corn Meal 1 cup
Corn Starch 2 tbsp
Baking Powder 4 tsp
Salt 1 tsp

Blend dries together in mixing bowl with wire whip.

Eggs 2
Oil 3 tbsp
Water 1 cup
Milk 2 cups

Add eggs, oil and water to dries and mix with wire whip just until uniform. Add the milk and mix with wire whip again just until the batter is uniform. Pour into a greased 1½ to 2 quart casserole dish. Bake at 450F for 35-45 minutes.

Note: For a drier spoon bread use ½ cup of water instead of 1 cup.
Note: Indian Head Yellow Corn Meal can be used instead of white.

Thanks guys. I made the recipe I posted as an experiment and it was very good. It rose up and out of the pan almost like a soufle. Problem is in 5 minutes it had fell. Still very tasty just not pretty. I tried a mix next made by Byrd Mill. Also very good. My grandmother must have made hers from a mix because it tasted very similar. I went with the mix and put 6 batches in a full size foil pan and baked. It baked up nicely. Actually got a lot of compliments of "best spoonbread I ever had". A famous BBQ place here in Richmond catered this event last year. From all the reviews I've been hearing my food (with the help of this site) was liked more than theirs. I will say that I was happy with everything I made and thats unusual. Again thanks for all the help.

Back