I need a new grill!

John_Shep

I know this is a Weber forum, but many of the people posting on the HM area have many different grills or smokers. I've been using my HM on my cutomized side smoker, which was a Masterforge grill with a Char-Griller side fire box attached as a side smoker. The HM worked great with that until the Masterforge spontaneously disintegrated into a pile of rust. I'm truly at a loss as to what to buy next!

Me: not a serious grill & smoke tons of meat every weekend guy. But when I do, I want the best result I can get. I want something I can grill steaks on and smoke a long slow brisket or ribs. And I want to use my HM for the long cooks.

- I'm looking at weber kettle grills like the original or Performer
- I'm interested in Kamado style grills - like a Primo, maybe
- I want something that won't rust away in 4 years
- Something good in dual use as a grill or smoker

Suggestions?

Last edited:
I just bought a Grilla Kong ceramic grill. It is similar to some others, but the metal parts are SS so I expect it to not rust away here near the Gulf Coast. It's well made and quite a bit less expensive for some similar grills even though the Kong has more standard features. It also has some nice options.

I bought an inexpensive spider and an inexpensive cast iron grill just for steaks. The spider lets me get the grill closer to the coals for steaks. I do low and slow with my Heatermeter and it chugs along maintaining temperature within a degree or so using just the damper without any fan at all. I'm impressed and happy with the results. Check it out and see if it suits your needs. I have a couple of other grills including a big Weber gasser, but if the wife said I could only have one grill, I'd keep just the Grilla Kong.

Love my Kamado Joe Classic. It's big enough for almost all I do, but there are times where I wish I had the bigger "Big Joe" model. They also only offer them in red now, but I bought mine many years ago when they also offered them in black. They've also replaced the cheap bamboo wooden handles and side tables with HDPE, which I don't think looks as nice. This summer I ended up making my own tables and handle our of some Jatoba wood, and I think it looks much nicer now!

Here's some old vs new pics!

Q2GWRbG.jpg

UmIb7gv.jpg[

aJoEff0.jpg

I have a Primo jr which is now 11 years young. Here is my list of pro`s and cons
Pro`s
Superb factory support. Had a firebox break and called them up. They knew about the issue being caused by some isolator plate grills made incorrectly. They sent new firebox, d-plate, d-plate grills. I paid for shipping.
I cook a lot and have never replaced the porcelain coated grill grates. These grates are reversible
Lot`s of good accessories. They have add-on grates that increase the cooking area. I have some and have used them when smoking meats. very useful
Great forum support for users.
Been around almost as long as BGE
I think this is a pro and it is manufactured in the US.
Mine is perfect for 2 people. There have been times when I wish I had the next largest size.
In my opinion based off of 11years of use, you get what you paid for and this one was well worth the investment

Con`s
Expensive, Primo jr under a $1k and all other oval grills over $1k. They also have a round ceramic grill

There is maintenance all user`s of ceramic grill will have
Must be air tight. Seals between halves, seal around dome, sealing around fresh air intake
Of course ash cleanout every 2-3 cooks
I do clean mine every fall. This is a deep cleaning and disassembly.
Air tight gives you better control

I am glad Santa brought this grill. Excellent long term investment

There are some video`s out there comparing ceramic quality of competitors to Primo and Primo manufacturing video as well. Check those out before spending any hard earned money

Last edited:
For longevity and flexibility, it is had to beat a Kamado if it is in your budget. GREAT (probably the best) low and slow cooker ever (ribs, butts and briskets), flexible enough to easily do hot grilling either direct or indirect (steaks, wings and chops), and capable of high temperature cooks like pizza.

My Kamado Joe Classic II is a really nice piece of kit and will be passed along to my son when I am gone. No rust worries.

Tom

Thanks everyone for the advice. I looked at BGEs in local stores, Acorn, and other Kamado style grills. I see one in my future, but not quite ready for that level investment yet.

So yesterday I picked up a Weber Performer, and am looking forward to getting used to it. I need to dust off my HM and set it up on the Performer. I had recently bought a 3D printer and an Adapt-a-damper was my first print.

Unfortunately it's 15 degrees here in Baltimore today, so it may a few days before I fire it up though. I have a fresh ham from my favorite local farmer in the freezer that will be a perfect test.

Unfortunately it's 15 degrees here in Baltimore today, so it may a few days before I fire it up though. I have a fresh ham from my favorite local farmer in the freezer that will be a perfect test.

I don't blame you, it's frigid today (I'm not far from you)! We're making a late lunch on the grill... but letting the HeaterMeter take care of temp control so I can stay inside :)

You will love your Weber Performer. Mine is an old Gen 2 still going strong. There are TONS of YouTube videos showing how to get the most out of Weber kettle style grills.

The first accessory I would recommend you getting is getting a generic "Vortex" cone. They are available at less than half the price of the regular cone. Here is just one example: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B06XQGYWYY/tvwb-20

It converts any kettle into a "Wings Machine" that can't be beat. Also great for pork chops and any other indirect cook of small to medium sized pieces.

Tom

Thanks everyone for the advice. I looked at BGEs in local stores, Acorn, and other Kamado style grills. I see one in my future, but not quite ready for that level investment yet.

So yesterday I picked up a Weber Performer, and am looking forward to getting used to it. I need to dust off my HM and set it up on the Performer. I had recently bought a 3D printer and an Adapt-a-damper was my first print.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back