I know common question, but I want something awesome... BRISKET

RCBaughn

TVWBB Super Fan
Well men, (and any ladies if your out there!) my first brisket attempts ever was to try and make pastrami, and while the cure took awesome and the pastrami flavor was there, it was a stringy, tough, inedible mess of protein fibers. Makes me want to cry that not even my dog would eat it (maybe the saltpetre?) and it had to be chunked out with some old leftovers. The second saddest thing about the whole ordeal? I had to eat french fries, green beans, and some homemade rolls without a lick of meat! That is the true tragedy here.

But I want to try something different with a brisket this time. My mom popped in and brought me a pretty big brisket flat, it's about 2 inches thick I'd say instead of the rather thin one that I got last time.

Does anyone have any REALLY REALLY interesting preparations for a brisket though? I love lots of steps in recipes, such as techniques on using a smoker in new ways, temp controlling, all night smokes where you have to monitor it carefully and probe (How awesome is it to be dead tired at 5:30 AM, but when you finally get to pull the meat off the smoker and get to pick off the little crispy bits of bark and fat?!?! Makes it worth it for sure)

A cool rub of some sort, or I have a stainless injector that I can employ too. Curing would be okay I suppose, but waiting that long isn't something I really want to do since I'm anxious to try and make something with brisket that is edible, and hopefully mouth smacking tasty and filled with moist and slippery gelatin!

Thanks a ton guys, and hopefully y'all know some way that I can get something that tastes good and is a ton of fun to smoke on the mini WSM!

-Cory

I posted pictures of a brisket I just did in the photos section. Later on, I posted my rub ingredients as well as my cooking technique in the same thread.

Pete

Back