I just wanted to say "thank you."

Hayden McCall

TVWBB All-Star
This morning, I pulled off what I consider my greatest cook since I started grilling 15 years ago at the age of 18. This past holiday season, I ordered a prime grade brisket from Lobel's of New York. It arrived in cryovac. My intention was to make it for New Year's Eve. I didn't get around to it, and put it in the freezer. I took it out this Wednesday, and it went on the grill this morning at 7. I cooked the brisket using the high heat method, following Andy Erickson's instructions to the "T". I then made a double batch of Steve Petrone's No. 5 sauce, drippings and all.

This couldn't have turned out any better. I'm sure having a top notch cut of meat didn't hurt, but this 12 lb. mother came off the grill with the most glorious bark, a beautiful smoke ring (despite using no smokewood), and is just so ridiculously tender, words fail me.

The reason I'm saying thank you to you all, is because without this forum, without the help of so many people here, without all the passion and ingenuity present amongst you all, I'd never have had the courage to try so many of the recipes I've made. When you see people just...love what they're doing...when you see people take giant leaps of faith to do things way beyond what they've ever done before, it really makes you feel like you can do it. Each cook gets better because of the things you picked up on the last. I've fallen on my face many times, but I've always managed to come back and amaze myself. I feel confident there's nothing I can order on any restaurant menu that I can't trump at home with my Performer, a chimney, and some Kingsford. Grilling is a big part of who I am today...and this place...you guys...are a big part of that.

Thank you.

Hayden, keep on trying new stuff. So much to learn in just this part of the food world. I'm glad No.5 worked out ok for you.

The brisket sounds amazing. I wish you took a picture of it.

But I just searched for that #5 sauce and found the thread. I think I'm going to give it a try soon.

Al

Back