I just ordered a stand mixer

I bought my Kitchen Aid in the 1960s!!! At that time it was still being manufactured by Hobart! Hobart knew how to make mixers, that's for sure. It got a good workout in the early 2000s when I tested (and re-tested) all the bread recipes for 2 award-winning bread cookbooks. I too have quite a few attachments but not the pasta pieces. A friend has the pasta set and likes it too.

I have a hand-crank pasta roller and enjoy using it. I bought the motor for it but it was so noisy that it disrupted the "zen" of rolling the pasta and I sent it on its way.

Rita

I bought my Kitchen Aid in the 1960s!!! At that time it was still being manufactured by Hobart! Hobart knew how to make mixers, that's for sure. It got a good workout in the early 2000s when I tested (and re-tested) all the bread recipes for 2 award-winning bread cookbooks. I too have quite a few attachments but not the pasta pieces. A friend has the pasta set and likes it too.

I have a hand-crank pasta roller and enjoy using it. I bought the motor for it but it was so noisy that it disrupted the "zen" of rolling the pasta and I sent it on its way.

Rita

I was looking at the meat grinder & sausage stuffer attachments, the one I "liked" was $165 or so plus a bunch for shipping..... any recommendations here?

I think what stopped me from getting the stand mixer was the mixed reviews--apparently they switched to a plastic gear box cover back around 2000/2001, & then back to metal (like all of yours) sometime around 2005 but it took until around 2007/8 to clear out the old stock.

I've been reading that 5 min/day ebook too, along with the salt/flour/yeast whatever...........and a couple others. I'll be a pro in no time :)

The Forkish book is my bible. Secondary is "Bread" by Hamelman and "New Artisan Bread in Five" by Herztberg. But I always go back to Forkish. Don't always agree though with his methods (his method for creating his starter is reeeediculous IMO).

I love bread threads (even though this was about your mixer). In any case, use it! You'll love it. Just watch your weight grow and grow ;)

Clint, you might get more input on your sausage maker question if you started a new thread such as "need meat grinder information" or something like that. It will get more attention than being in this thread. I would think that a stand-alone meat grinder would be faster and more powerful than the Kitchen Aid model, although I've been satisfied with the KA. I grind my burger meat regularly but I don't make sausage on a regular basis.

Len, I'm not familiar with Forkish, but Hammelman is at the top of the list. I haven't tried his starter method, but I've seen some really outlandish methods of building a starter. In my humble opinion the one in Maggie Glezer's “A Blessing of Bread” © 2004 Artisan, ISBN 1579652107 or her "Artisan Baking Across America" © 2000 Artisan, ISBN 1579651178 (which in later editions was renamed simply "Artisan Baking" was easier and more successful than any other I have tried. She has a timetable in both books for building the starter which makes it foolproof. Two weeks to an active starter, mine took 10 days. "A Blessing of Bread" is her second book and she has refined the method just a bit from the first book.

Rita

Last edited:
Forkish based is methods on Lahey. I like Forkish better as he went into somewhat greater detail. For example, he'll say to start at 8a.m., then do this at 9 am this at 9.30 am, etc. It's a great way to learn; it's having a teacher with you while you do the mixing. A day planner method if you will. In writing that book, he makes no assumptions about what you know. Going from an all white bread recipe, he has a set method. Moving on to a whole wheat, he'll repeat those same steps. You don't have to flip back to the white recipe to find out what you should do with the w.w.

Not as many recipes as Hamelman but creates a solid base that allows you to experiment with Hamelman variety.

Another reason i love those recipes: when I make 3 lb of dough (two loaves), I only use 1/4 teaspoon of yeast.. The stuff in the flour does the rest.

I noted in Clint's recipe, he used 2 tablespoons plus another 1/2t in the starter--10X the amount. And there's nothing wrong with that. My bake takes about 26 hours. Mine will have the natural flavour of the wheat coming through. There will be more yeast flavour with his. Again, nothing wrong with that.

All you have to do is taste the difference and you'll be a convert.

This is what 1/4 t of yeast will do for you:
IMAG0231_zps68d0d8e6.jpg

That's why I'm such a convert.

seems smaller amounts of yeast can be used but need a longer ferment -- I've read so much that I don't understand......yet

like leaven breads......starters.........

Are those your loaves Len? They look great! Rita, I sometimes have you pegged as someone @ ATC or something :) Lots of good people around here.

I seem to recall the LEM 12 & LEM 8 most recommended around here.........and it's only ~$99 - $130 or so. I also saw the pasta handheld cranks so I'll probably skip getting any attachments until something makes sense. I don't really see myself making pasta anytime soon anyway....or sausage for that matter. Grinding brisket into burgers sounds tempting though.

Last edited:
seems smaller amounts of yeast can be used but need a longer ferment -- I've read so much that I don't understand......yet

like leaven breads......starters.........

Are those your loaves Len? They look great! Rita, I sometimes have you pegged as someone @ ATC or something :) Lots of good people around here.

Yup, I originally posted those last year.

Yes, you are absolutely right. The trick to build flavor is less yeast = a longer fermentation. I only use a minimum of instant yeast in my pizza dough (as noted elsewhere here). And, for convenience's sake, I've halved it, if needed, so I'll have a longer fermentation so the dough and I come out about even, schedule-wise.

Don't be afraid to play with the amount of yeast in a recipe to suit your timing after you know what it will be with the original amount of yeast. The longer, the better, for flavor.

Timing can also be regulated by the temperature at which the dough is fermented, but that is a whole new subject. Leave it to say that room temperature is most common and most convenient.

I never ferment or proof bread dough in a warm oven or artificially warm anything, which speeds up the process at the cost of flavor. (Refrigeration is a whole new subject.)

The trick (isn't there always one?) is when to know that your dough has fermented (or proofed) just enough -- just before it begins to deflate. That comes with a little practice, I"d say. But if it has crowned, it is close to deflating. Better just before than just after, to preserve your oven-spring.

Rita

Last edited:
Actually, you may need the artificiality (now there's a word for you) of a warm oven. But the way I accomplish that is by wiring a room thermostat to a light bulb and putting that in the oven with the newly created dough. Set it at 70o , plug it in to a wall socket, close the door and it's good for 12-14 hours or however long I need it.

artificiality - I like it! Very clever with the thermostat, Len. You're right; sourdough does like it a little cozier than dry yeast.

That reminds me of the time I rigged up a styrofoam cooler with an extension cord that had a lightbulb socket on one end, fitted with, I think it was, a 15-watt bulb. I added an in-line rheostat to adjust the dimness of the bulb to get the temperature I wanted. I used a remote probe thermometer to monitor the temperature inside the cooler. I decided I didn't really need it, though, because I could control the fermentation time by a slight adjustment of the yeast or starter quantity.

You live in a colder clime than I do, which would make a difference in the ambient temperature in your kitchen overnight. Your method surely beats running up your home thermostat for the sake of the the little yeasty beasties! :)

First use seems successful so far...

This is their multi-grain - smells so good even though I got a sore throat last night / sinus today. I haven't cut it yet, it'll have to wait until morning. I just pulled it out of the oven, it'll probably cool for a half hour or hour, then into a big plastic bag, vented a little maybe, & a few paper towels in there to help absorb the moisture. Feels light & fluffy, nothing like my regular.

12033150_10205177175490890_3195155857627103918_n.jpg

12108983_10205177175170882_2751631209625563146_n.jpg

1620437_10205177174890875_8856363550441316920_n.jpg

12017590_10205177181251034_8583836960703558632_o.jpg

Clint, your loaves are beautiful! I know they will taste as good as they look. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Rita

Clint, Congrats on the mixer! Pammi and I got the same one few years ago. It was reconditioned, but works like a champ!
As far as a grinder/sausage stuffer attachment, the KA grinder attachment is about $50 and you can get it on Amazon (using the link, of course!). It's also available at Target and Bed Bath and Beyond. At BB&B, you can use a 20% off coupon to save even more. The sausage stuffer attachment was only $10 at BB&B.

I looked at the reconditioned ones too - it really was a tough choice, so many options!

I found the meat grinders - thanks :) I'll be grinding up my own burgers soon most likely.

I'm duplicating the 2 loaves again - I gave one loaf away, and then I've been giving out samples all day on mine........ there's 6 slices left & that's just not going to do! The multigrain loaf recipe is a keeper.

I had a PBJ for brunch, a grilled cheese for lunch, a slice with soup for dinner....

12107846_10205180045402636_4140019785548597956_n.jpg

12105934_10205180045042627_1378939103315344275_n.jpg

11990544_10205180044762620_4027738290852445244_n.jpg

Back