I have been coming across a lot of grills that have been blown over in the wind......bent valve shafts....

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Just a quick hitter here. I have accidently purchased 3 grills recently with knobs that run caddiewompas. It has puzzled me in the past but always worked through it. This time I couldnt believe I literally purchased 3 in a row with bent valve shafts so I had no choice but to dig in and fix it correctly. I will assume that most all of you guys know how to do this repair so I will make it short ..... This grill in particular was a Genesis 300 series with knobs in the front of course. So I just removed the two valve screws and pulled the valve apart. Then I used needle nose plyers to remove the little valve stop pin so I could remove the valve shaft. Then I rolled the valve shaft on a table to see how out of round it was and noting which direction to bend it back. I put the shaft in my vise then put a tiny deep socket over the valve shaft and gently tweaked it back to straight then reinstalled.

I was just getting so cocky when arriving on the scene to buy a grill for a very good price....all I would do is a real quick eyeball test and roll it away figuring I could fix anything thats wrong with the ole Genie........Well from now on I will be sure to spin the knobs and check for caddiewompass-ness. Yes I usually push and spin the knobs......but sometimes I am just in a grab and go mood and dont take enough time to really inspect the grills....usually because it is such a good deal I am taking it with me no matter what.

Thats all folks

You would take the grill anyway, even knowing that it had bent valve stems. We all would, at least you figured out how to straighten them out. Good job on that!

Jim, I do the same thing when picking up grills. Unless they are on the upper end of my normal price range ($50), I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the condition of them when I arrive to pick them up. I just figure that even if there is some catastrophic problem with the grill, it will be worth it for a parts grill. Plus, I have most of the parts I would need to fix up most any Silver B or Genesis 1000 grill already on hand.
And, I have also picked up a couple grills with the bent knob problem. It amazes me how these grills can get blown over by the wind.

I'd bet it's safe to say mostly only the cabinet doors models are the ones getting blown over, while the open cart design stands tall, aerodynamically.

Yep.......I just get out of the truck.....anxiously walk up to the ole Weber.....exchange some pleasant banter with the seller......check for extreme rust.......lift the hood real quick......twist the knobs very quickly to feel for action but I rarely gave them a full spin......then I load em up and roll out. Heck the cooking grates are worth what I am paying for the grills most of the time. That said recently I have paid as much as $150 for a modern Genesis knowing I can quick flip them for $350 with minimal resto work. Around here that has become the game......pay more for a grill that someone cant take with them because they are moving then just quick flip it.

Never saw a wind strong enough to give me concern. Funny thing though. A few months back we did have a wind so strong it pushed my 350lb+ Wolf across the deck and only thing that kept it from going down the stairs? The gas hose. The Weber just stood there. Go figure even though it's weight is less than half

I live in Virginia and we have seen winds around here like never before. Mother Nature is not happy these days. The last grill I passed on due to price and all 3 bent valves was a newer Spirit 300 series........They are not nearly as heavy as the old Weber grills and just blow right over if out in the open where the wind can catch em. ........ I assume........ The other grill I actually did buy was also a Spirit....the older 200 series. They have a narrow stance and I can see how they would be a little tippy.

I have picked up two grills now that were victims of hit and runs. They should probably put 5 mph bumpers on these grills.

I just saw a 300 series Spirit advertised and the owner installed wood wheelie bars on it to stop it from tipping......pretty ironic

Never saw a wind strong enough to give me concern. Funny thing though. A few months back we did have a wind so strong it pushed my 350lb+ Wolf across the deck and only thing that kept it from going down the stairs? The gas hose. The Weber just stood there. Go figure even though it's weight is less than half
We saw here about a year or two ago a Vieluxe in the Chicago area that fell over in a storm. I have never had it happen, but a friend of mine in Florida gave me his old 300 series because his went over. I don't think it was in a hurricane just one of those fluke Florida storms.

Back