I hate apartments.

There is a problem with that, unfortunately. If there is a garage fire, there may be problems with insurance coverages and denials. FD regs will take precedence over contract modifications. :( T, if you do go this route, please make sure that the tank valve is closed in storage. It's not sufficient to just close the grill valves.

You do have a point, though. If T seriously makes waves with management, there's a non-zero risk that his lease will simply not be renewed.

FD does not want them stored in the garages because they are side-by side in rows of 8, with a garage on each column, for a total of 16 garages per garage building. If the grill somehow leaked gas and started a fire, you would be out 16 cars, quite expensive.

FD has OK'ed where the grill is at now, since there is literally nothing near it that can catch fire.

I'm not sure why the apartment told me to store it in the garage, which is a big no-no, and as stated previously, other people have told me they suddenly change the rules on the fly, such as going from assigned parking to "park wherever" which has been a giant mess, to adding the cable into the rent, for free, to charging people $35/mo for it. Which isn't bad, but it is MANDATORY you have it, due to their contract with the cable company.

It is also in the rules that you are supposed to not leave bags of trash on your patio, and to clean up after your dog. No one does, and thus it is a huge mess.

They only want to enforce/make up rules that are to their benefit, if it is a bother to the tenant, they don't care. They won't enforce the noise rules here, and police have told people it IS their responsibility to do such.

Last edited:
I tell my Wife all the time there is no way I could live in a Townhouse or a Condo...just too many rules to comply with..not to mention the neighbors waaay too close for comfort.

Heck, I won't even consider on a Cul-de-sac as one bad neighbor can ruin the neighborhood.
There are times I like to crank up my Klipschorn speakers so I cannot have neighbors anywhere near me.

Jeff

There are quite a few people on this earth who receive great satisfaction in making other people's lives as miserable as possible.
They usually end up running HOA's or apartment complexes.
They receive the responsibility over a position with power, and they let said power go to their head and abuse it.
The same people, if given the opportunity to run a small country, would instantly turn themselves into a dictator.
For that reason, no way in heck would I live under the rule of an HOA. I've read WAY too many articles on the internet about HOA's gone wrong.

There are quite a few people on this earth who receive great satisfaction in making other people's lives as miserable as possible.
They usually end up running HOA's or apartment complexes.
They receive the responsibility over a position with power, and they let said power go to their head and abuse it.
The same people, if given the opportunity to run a small country, would instantly turn themselves into a dictator.
For that reason, no way in heck would I live under the rule of an HOA. I've read WAY too many articles on the internet about HOA's gone wrong.

Yeah home owner's associations can suck too. We live in a small neighborhood outside the city limits with no HOA. But we know people in neighborhoods close to us that can tell horror stories about their restrictive HOA's. Always hassling them about something. So thankful we don't have to deal with that.

Coming from the Nanny state of California.

There are older complexes with balconies of wood.

So no open flames.

I had a kettle and would haul it of the carport to parking area. Leave it out away from building to let coal to burn out.

Unfortunately we couldn’t store stuff in carport.

Didn’t have much of an issue.

Our complex was built in 1962 so fire hazard

Thankful that we are out of there!

Update:

Apparently the person who manages this complex is not very well liked based on my conversation with a few other tenants of this complex.
I am not sure who started this whole grill thing. I do know the person who lives above me seems a bit mentally "off" and usually walks back and forth in her unit above mine during the night...for literally HOURS ON END.
With that said...I was told in emails that the other grill owners "who do not own a garage will be asked to throw their grill away".
Ya...I'm sure that is going to go over REALLY well...considering someone here just spent over $300 on a brand new char broil and does not have a garage.

Now as I might have mentioned before...I was given until last Monday (5/13) to move my grill off my patio and into the garage, which I did.
Otherwise I was given the threat of "otherwise it will be removed". I told the person whoever sent that...if they try to take my grill I will be calling the cops.

But...I walked around this morning and noticed...no one else has moved their grill. So when I asked why I was told "they were given just as much time as you to move it".
When I told them "the cut off for that was Monday, 5/13", it was replied with "we emailed everyone at the same time".
So THAT RIGHT THERE PROVES they are singling me out, because despite their lie...I was asked TWO FULL WEEKS to move it before anyone else was (and I asked).

This manager is a lousy POS and does not enforce ANY of the rules. I've called the police over the lady who lives above me stomping around at 3am (she does every night, but this night was twice as loud), and the police said "the management needs to handle this". Even after telling them I called the cops, they would not do anything.

You are also not supposed to leave any trash on the patio, and someone in the same building as me has had 6 bags of trash left there for 2.5 weeks now (and yes, they still live there, and no they are not crippled or have any excuse why it's left there).

So I called the vice president of the company who owns these apartments and lodged a complaint with them.

I'm also not going to be very happy if I do another walk around in a week and still see grills there, because that will again further prove they are making an example out of me.

I can't wait to be a home owner in a few years to not have to deal with this BS. I will probably buy a brand new Genesis II S-435 to celebrate, lol.

Why don't you make yourself a homeowner sooner. With all the newer financing programs out there now you should be able to be in your OWN home for far less than renting. Unless you're in a transient state (need to move quickly) there is no good reason to rent (especially an apartment)

Back