I feel like I slayed a Titan today.

I like the use of the ring as a riser, won’t act as much of a heat sink. Maybe a couple of firebricks set on early enough to get hot? Just an idea.
It may have been first time luck, but I laid some new unlit JD XL down in a C shape, got a chimney of JD XL hot and dumped it on top and put that set up together. Left the kettle barely cracked. After 45+mins both the stone and the dome where both right around 600 degrees. We gave the stone time to bounce back before each pie and the temps leveled right back again. I think it made a great cooking environment as the tops and bottoms finished at the same time. I am going to try to recreate the same cooking environment to see it I can keep it up the consistency or if that was first time luck.

Thanks Rich, it that means a lot coming from the master! Six pies would give one for each of the five of us with one still for dessert. Yeah the goal this time was keep the cook simple, only a few ingredients/topping so I could really focus on the dough, sauce, stone temp, cooker temp and time. I want to say it again, that dough recipe is real deal!
Keying in on using a stone, I really want to try @Rich G 's dough recipe/method using my two level Genesis on the upper grate. I may screw it up, but there is always a next time. 😁

Back