I feel like I slayed a Titan today.

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
I have been watching all of you guys and your amazing pizza cooks and I knew I had to o get back on the kettle pizza train. The only problem is dough and yeast are like my Akilis heal. See I grew up cooking, but yeast and dough, yeah never worked with it. I bought the 'OO' flour last summer to make pizza and it was the only cook from last summer's to cook list that didn't get done. So I decided I was going for it on the Fourth of July, but then we got me niece and spent the whole day at the pool, so no pizza. I told myself I was going to do this, so last night I started the dough.IMG_20220706_213039409.jpg

My bird was very interested in what was going on.
IMG_20220706_213704146.jpg

Tonight I got home and got to work.
IMG_20220707_172006571.jpg

Here is what the dough looked like today.
IMG_20220707_174557423.jpg

Here is my set up (I took this picture post cook for full disclosure).
IMG_20220707_185200483.jpg
First pie.
IMG_20220707_173028530_HDR.jpg

Here is the bottom.
IMG_20220707_173157683.jpg

The second pie was much more round and pretty but I did not get a pic of the whole pie just the slice and the bite.
IMG_20220707_174705107.jpg
IMG_20220707_174810867.jpg

The third was the only one of the four pies the kids would let us make not plain cheese and it was ugly and oh so good. Pepperoni, jalapeno (on my piece), and honey.
IMG_20220707_175920950.jpg

Last pie very pretty and the most perfect crust.
IMG_20220707_181452494.jpg

We shared each pie as a family when they come out. It was a real food experience and one I will remember. I seriously can not believe how good they were. The only thing I will change is make six balls of dough so we can make at least two whole pies pepperoni, jalapeno (on one whole pie), and honey (and a bbq chicken and bacon pie for my right hand daughter/chief and I). I think I am going to get some of the hot honey we were talking about in one of the many epic pizza threads here.

A shout out to all you guys making pies here, this place always pushes me and teaches me. And a MASSIVE shout out to @Rich G and his Nearly-politan" Pizza Dough recipe and the amazing pies he produces. The recipe was the prefect guide to get me into this cook and quality of his pies gives me something to strive towards.

Thanks for look!

Michael, you should be sooo PROUD OF YOURSELF, I know I am. You did such a great job!!!!!!!!!

Nailed it!!! :) Those are some really fine looking pies, and remember, round or not round, they taste the same!!! 🤣🤣 (Round will come with time/practice!) You've got serious cooking chops, my man, and you owned this one! Make some more, get some additional confidence, then you can play with toppings and dough recipes to your heart's content...... I highly recommend a dessert pizza. Something tells me your sous chef would have fun with that! :)

R

Last edited:
Nicely done Michael. Like the setup, love the dough (lots of air bubbles) great Zebra striping. I'd be most interested in your dough recipe, that's some good dough

I should Report you for making my stomach rumble -- seriously. I am so impressed! The jalapeno slice should have been mine, so please ship the whole jalapeno/pepperoni one... 😁😁😁

Out of the park hit Michael! Gotta get my garage wall hanger pizza kettle off the wall and make some pies.

Nicely done Michael. Like the setup, love the dough (lots of air bubbles) great Zebra striping. I'd be most interested in your dough recipe, that's some good dough
Hey, there, Chuck. Michael linked to the dough recipe in his last paragraph above.......it's one of mine. :) 🤣

R

I like the use of the ring as a riser, won’t act as much of a heat sink. Maybe a couple of firebricks set on early enough to get hot? Just an idea.

Nailed it!!! :) Those are some really fine looking pies, and remember, round or not round, they taste the same!!! 🤣🤣 (Round will come with time/practice!) You've got serious cooking chops, my man, and you owned this one! Make some more, get some additional confidence, then you can play with toppings and dough recipes to your heart's content...... I highly recommend a dessert pizza. Something tells me your sous chef would have fun with that! :)

R
Thanks Rich, it that means a lot coming from the master! Six pies would give one for each of the five of us with one still for dessert. Yeah the goal this time was keep the cook simple, only a few ingredients/topping so I could really focus on the dough, sauce, stone temp, cooker temp and time. I want to say it again, that dough recipe is real deal!

Back