I can't wait!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I live in North Iowa where it is really cold during winter so i haven't been smoking any thing because I believe the wheather is too cold and my WSM walls are too thin to be able to hold in enough heat to cook anything.
Well I've been "jonesing" for some o dat delicious BBQ and I'm plain tired of waiting.
Does any one have any tips to get me cooking? Can i run it in the garage W/ the door ajar? is there any way to insulate the WSM without building a shelter? Someone help I'm Hungry!!!

Cold weather in Iowa is no excuse!
icon_biggrin.gif
I've certainly done a couple of smokes in pretty frigid weather as well as in the rain and while it's snowing and I don't use a insulating jacket.

Check out fellow member Tomas' website:
Tomas

I know northern Iowa can be a lot different than it is down here below the magic highway 30 line, but most agree its the wind, not the cold that will be a problem. What part of northen Iowa?

Check the link Brian provided. Beware of trying to smoke in an enclosed area.

Get out there and start smokin'...weather is no excuse to not be
wsmsmile8gm.gif
!

Personally I wouldn't cook in the garage unless I had the door open all the way -- why take a chance with CO poisoning?

As others have mentioned, wind is a much bigger enemy than the cold.

Thanks to all for the encouragement to "Smoke in da cold"
Joel Kiess- I live in Mason City and I know what ya mean by the hiway 30 line only a hundred miles apart and like two different worlds! Think i will stop and grab me a butt and a few racks o spares and fire that baby up!!! My "azz" might be frozen but my butt will willbe pipin hot.
Good smokin to ya;
Mike

Go for it Mike. If you don't want to do a windscreen or "inside" your garage, just pay attention to the weather and pick a low wind day. The wsm will do just fine. I don't know how low you can go, but I smoked in 10 degree weather just fine.

I just completed 3 consecutive nights of cooking with temps on the lower 30's and winds between 10-15mph. I find the wind to be a biger problem.

I personally use my WSM in the garage during the winter months. The wind usually comes from the west here and I happen to have a bay door on the east side of my garage. I keep the WSM about 2-3 feet inside the door with the door all the way open. Haven't had any problems and you can still stay halfway warm this way. I still light the chimney outside of the garage, however.

Back