I can't get my 18" WSM hot enough

Hi John, if you have $100 burning a hole in your pocket, check out the silver bullet jacket from BBQ guru site.

If not, before I purchased my bullet jacket, I did this:
Regular minion method
Put the cooker together
Take the access door off until the lid temp gets to about 325+ degrees (for bigger cooks like your 4 pork butts)
Get the meat in the smoker and close it up

The WSM should be in the 225-260 range unless you pulled the butts straight from the fridge
Prop open the access door slightly with a hammer/grill scraper/whatever as necessary if the temps dip

I only use the water pan if I need to lower temps, or if I'm doing something that dries out easily. I never use water in the pan for pork butts.

I also get the grill to temp before I put the meat on (preheat). Lots of folks don't, they say its a waste. But I like having that control. If the temp drops after putting on the meat, you know its the meat sucking up all the heat and not something wrong with the smoker.

I had a hard time getting my smoker hot enough when I first bought it. Try using lump charcoal for ur chimney starter. lump burns hotter but shorter. And mix some lump in with the unlit briquettes to. Cut way back on water too this isn't helping u hit those higher temps its preventing it. And I let my smoker hit the temp I need before putting meat and wood on.

Wow. As usual, I got a lot of good ideas. In addition to these I'm going to get a thermometer set to ensure the temps are accurate.

John

Back