I can't believe I did that!!

Cecil

TVWBB Fan
Late yesterday afternoon my son called and wanted to bbq at his place for the championship game of the Southeastern Conference baseball tournament(Geaux Tigers). He asked me to do some baby backs. As it was late I rushed to wal mart picked up some baby backs. I was going to smoke them for three hours then foil them with apple juice and then put them in the fridge and finish the on the WSM after going to an early mass. In my haste, it was about 8:30, I reached for my bottle of rub and didn't notice I had actually picked up the bottle of cayene pepper. I was outside on the car port and the light wasn't very bright. This morning I fired up the smoker to finish them with the apple juice in the foil. While they were cooking in the foil I was looking in my pantry and noticed that the bottle of rub still had the seal on it and the bottle of cayene was about half empty. After kicking myself in the butt a few times I decided that when I took them out of the foil I had to get as much of the cayene off that I could. I put them in a pan amd brought them to the hose pipe and gave them a good spraying. Then I put some rub on them and mixed some rub in my bbq sauce and gave them a good slather. Let them cook 30 more minutes and took them to my son's. Didn't get all the peppper off but got enough to make them edible. Most of the people liked them and even brought some home with them. Even though I am pure cajun they were a little hot for my old stomach. Anyway it wasn't a total dissaster.

Cecil,

That is hilarious! I am glad it turned out OK at least!

It is also a good reminder to always double check.

You know my my Dad always said it takes a man to admit when he $%%# up! That is a funny story thanks for sharing. Vince

Ceceil,too funny! Reminds me of a trip to a bar and grill across the street from us. My wife and I had gone over for dinner,and ordered some buffalo shrimp as an appetizer. When they came out,they were screamingly spicy! We told the waitress,and she went back into the kitchen. She came back a few minutes later with another plate of buffalo shrimp. It seems the new cook didn't know that the buffalo sauce wasn't just straight Franks Extra Hot hot sauce! Ouch! The manager came over later and apologized and comped the shrimp!

I was making my first batch of Citrus rub this week and grabed the lemon pepper by mistake. With the black pepper the rub is rather peppery but to cheap to throw out.

Back