I beat the Beast!

C. Howlett

TVWBB Super Fan
Well, here it is again - Summer vacation. My son is now 17 and almost perpetually hungry. Having observed this phenomenon in previous years, I planned ahead. In December, I bought two 17 pound holiday hams and threw them into the freezer. Monday morning, I left one ham out on the counter for a few hours then let it completely defrost in the fridge.

This recipe is from the Cook'n Cajun Water Smoker Cookbook. My departed ECB wasn't as good as a WSM, but it did introduce me to true bbq. The cookbook has some few outstanding recipes. This one is extremely easy. Total prep time, not counting defrost: 10 minutes

Smoked (Non) Burgundy Ham

The recipe suggests soaking the ham in burgundy, port or red wine but gives no further guidance. Supposedly, this step removes any trace of salt, improves the flavor and renders the ham sweet and fork tender. I skipped this step.

1 pre-cooked ham, whole, half or picnic
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
Pineapple juice
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves

Mix ingredients other than ham into a thick paste adjusting pineapple juice as necessary.

My hams are Hillshire Farms Brown Sugar Cured fully cooked pre-sliced hams. Instructions suggest oven cooking at 300 until 120 internal degrees are reached, 13 - 17 minutes per pound. The cookbook suggested 140 degrees as the optimum temp. I compromised at 130 but didn't quite hit it. Details follow.

Today it was about 75 degrees, windless. I put the ham in at about noon. I didn't bother wiping off the Hillshire Farms glaze. Foiled the water pan but left it empty. Fully loaded the charcoal pan and fired it up.

I locked the temp in at 260 for 3 1/2 hours with the bottom vents completely closed. I stuck a chunk of water soaked peach wood in about every hour. At 3:45 I found the ham internal temp was 120. Applied the glaze and burned through the final 45 minutes. The temp had jumped to 150 by the end of the burn.

I pulled the ham off and let it rest for 45 minutes. I broke the whole thing down into Foodsaver bags of about 1.5 pounds each. Naturally, this process yielded several tasty samples of buttery smooth, sugar crusted ambrosia. Yum! I also vacuum sealed the 3 large ham bones for soup later this week.

My son is home during the day studying and prepping for college. Even at his voracious rate of consumption, a bag should last him for a couple of days!

FULL PHOTO ABLUM AT Smoked Burgundy Ham

Let me emphasize: this is an EASY recipe!

CH: Great photos and I really want a chance to smoke a ham soon. Your's looks awesome, thanks for making me hungry at 12:26 in the am!
icon_smile.gif

Nice pictures, it looks really good. I haven't done a ham yet, but I'll have to give it a shot soon.

Steve

Back