I am finally going to use my new performer, for brisket! Help please.

dean

TVWBB Pro
I just watched a vid on youtube from the BBQ Boys on brisket done on a kettle. I have had my performer almost 2 weeks and I might as well break it in right! What? Did you think I was going to grill hot dogs and burgers for the first cook? lol..
Can any one give me a few tips on brisket done on a kettle? Flat or packer? how long, Temps, foil or no foil? etc...I have done many packers on my WSM but never a kettle...

Very bold to attempt a brisket. Other than the challenge, what advantages do you see doing the brisket on the performer? Will the brisket be a packer or just a flat? Flat at high temperature in-direct sounds like a possibility.

I was thinking low and slow on the kettle. Off set with a drip pan under the meat. Do not know if I am going to do a packer or a flat. Most likely a packer so I can get some burnt ends!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Do you have fire bricks? Minion method works well and your only starting with 6-10 coals I do packers but sometimes it's a tight fit.

This is the last one I did. Make sure to rotate the brisket a few times to cook it evenly.

100_2532.jpg

No I do not have the bricks. My performer came with them charcoal baskets that fit on the sides of the kettle. Should I put the brisket in the middle with the coal on the sides? Or should I put an old metal pan in there on one side, and coal piled on the other?

I'd just use one basket and give yourself more room on the grate. The amount of lump I have in my pic lasted about 8 hours.

Dean,

Turn one of those charbaskets around and use it like a firebrick. Don't fill the basket, just fill up the grate and let the char basket hold the pile back. You can use more charcoal that way. If you use lump, you might want a second charcoal grate turned 90 degrees, so you don't have all the small pieces falling through.

I agree with Matt. I don't think that one of the baskets would hold enough for a full cook. Just spin it around and use it to hold the coal in place.

I do packers on kettles with some frequency. I don't bother with fire bricks. I pile on each side in the baskets, top with a few lit on each pile, add some smoke wood, stick foil under then up over each basket to deflect the heat, then stick the packer in the middle. I don't worry about low/slow (imo high heat is better for brisket) but I don't let her rip either. I keep the lower and upper vents somewhat restricted. Works quite well. Done in 4-6 hours depending on what the temps were.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JustinL:
I agree with Matt. I don't think that one of the baskets would hold enough for a full cook. Just spin it around and use it to hold the coal in place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I trick i use is to put both charcoal baskets in full next to each other only put lit into one of them. Then when that starts getting close to burning down, I rotate the hinged grate over the 2nd basket and add some lit to that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dean:
K Kruger, At what temp do you pull the brisket? Do you foil at all? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check out this thread on high heat brisket

Yes, check out the thread.

As you'll see there and i will restate here: I do foil (after about 2.5 hours of smoking). I never temp after foiling and strongly suggest you don't. The temps mean nothing. You must cook till tender. Check after 1.25 hours after foiling for tender, then every 15 after that till tender. Make sure you you recrimp the foil well after checking.

Back